If you have stinky, musty towels that never seem to smell clean, it may be time to strip them. Over time hard water can deposit minerals, dirt, and bacteria on your towels and clothes. Renew and refresh your laundry in just three easy steps! Learn how to strip towels with essential oils.
I wouldn’t call myself a hoarder, but I like to get my money’s worth out of things. I love a good deal, but I am always willing to spend more on quality items that will last. Especially when it comes to nice sheets and towels.
Towels should be replaced about every two years, but with regular stripping, they can last much longer. Residue can remain after each wash and little by little that residue builds up, leaving towels stiff and stinky.
You might even notice that towels start to feel heavier when they are wet, and they become less effective at drying. That is a clear sign that it’s time to strip your towels!
What is Laundry Stripping?
Laundry stripping is the process of removing build-up from towels and laundry. It’s easy to do with hot water and a detergent mixture.
Simply soak your towels or laundry in a bathtub with a mixture of washing soda, borax, and detergent. This effortless process leaves towels feeling soft, fluffy, and smelling amazing!
Laundry Stripping Ingredients
- Borax is an underrated, lesser-known household cleaning product. It’s a natural mineral also known as sodium tetraborate. Its uses include stain removal, treating mold and mildew, and neutralizing odors. It’s a wonderful addition to any laundry routine
- Washing soda, or soda ash, is similar in composition to borax. It can be used as a laundry additive to degrease and deep-clean clothes and towels
- Detergent is added to cleanse and sanitize. A powered detergent is preferred since it will dissolve easier in the water. You can use liquid detergent if you are in a pinch, just be sure to stir well before the soaking stage
- Essential oils are added due to their antibacterial and antifungal properties. They are great at removing odors. Essential oil like tea tree, lemon, purification, thieves, and eucalyptus are wonderful choices for cleaning
Renew and refresh your laundry in just three easy steps!
How to Strip Towels using Essential Oils
What you’ll need:
- ¼ cup borax
- ¼ washing soda
- ½ cup powdered free & clear detergent
- 30 drops essential oil (I used Purification)
Step 1: Prep the tub – fill a bathtub or a large bucket with hot water. Combine borax, washing soda, detergent, and essential oils in a glass measuring cup or bowl (essential oils are added to the dry mixture so they disperse evenly into the water). Stir with a large wooden spoon until the powders dissolve
Step 2: Soak the laundry – add clean towels or laundry to the tub. Press towels down with the wooden spoon to fully submerge. Let soak for 4 hours, or until the water cools to room temperature
Step 3: Rinse and dry – drain the bath and remove towels. You’ll be amazed by how much gunk will be left behind in the tub water. Wash in a water-only cycle and dry as normal. Once towels are dry they will be softer, brighter, and smell fresh!
More Essential Oil Laundry Recipes:
- Musty Towel Cleaning Hack
- Reusable Dryer Sheets
- Wool Dryer Balls
- Laundry Stain Spray
- DIY Fabric Softener