Once you have been using essential oils for awhile, you start to run out of room on the bathroom (and kitchen) counter. So, you need to invest in some kind of essential oil storage container and figure out how to organize your oils. There are lots of options, but thankfully we have our favorites that we are going to share with you. These are our Top Picks for Essential Oil Storage & Organization.
This post and all our posts may contain affiliate links.
Before we get into organizing and displaying our essential oils, let’s first talk about the proper way to store the oils.
Tips for How to Store Essential Oils
- Always store essential oils in their original dark glass bottles in cool locations. There’s no need to transfer them to another kind of container.
- When you use the oils in recipes, then ideally your homemade product will also be stored in dark, glass containers or dark, safe plastic containers (make sure the plastic containers use PET, Polyethylene Terephthalate, as the material). Many essential oils will degrade in heat or direct sunlight. All of our recipes include recommended supplies for storing each recipe.
- If you are storing essential oils in the kitchen to use in food recipes, then be sure to store away from the heat of the stove or oven.
- Make sure that the bottle lids are on securely. Loose lids can allow essential oils to evaporate. This would diminish their benefits and aroma. However, overtightening the lids can cause them to crack, so just make sure they are secure.
- Essential oils have a longer shelf life than any dried herb, seed, or flower. Essential oils, when stored properly, will maintain their intense flavor and aroma for years.
Keep essential oils out of the reach of any children. Treat them just as you would any other potent substances in your home. These are concentrated essences and could be extremely dangerous for young children. See all of our essential oil safety tips for kids here.
Some of Our Favorite Oily Storage Supplies for Recipes:
- 10 ml clear glass roller bottles (since these are clear, we label them with waterproof labels and store them in a dark place like a purse)
- 10 ml colored glass roller bottles (these are colored glass that come with labels)
- 2 oz. Amber Glass Spray Bottles, 8 oz. Amber Glass Spray Bottles, and 16 oz. Amber Glass Spray Bottles
- 2 oz. PET amber bottles
- 10 ml glass perfume spray bottles
- 10 oz. foaming soap dispensers (PET)
Our Top Picks for Essential Oil Storage & Display Products
Jenn uses this “nail polish rack” that holds essential oil bottles perfectly! All sizes of oil bottles and 10 ml roller bottles will fit on each shelf and the top shelf can fit some of the bigger oily items as you can see in the horrible iphone image above. Sorry about that. It hangs on the wall and is super secure. Check it out here.
Or get fancy with this black metal wall display built for essential oils! It holds up to 100 – 5 ml bottles or about 75 – 15 ml bottles. Comes with wall anchors and screws to securely attach it to your wall. Shop here.
We love this on-the-go essential oils traveling case that holds up to 30 essential oil bottles including 5 ml, 10 ml, and 15 ml bottles! It’s lightweight to carry but has a thick, durable fabric that will protect your oils. Plus, it has a nice carrying handle to make it easier to carry. Check it out here.
You could also go with this hard case storage bag that works great for traveling as well. It holds 30 – 15 ml bottles quite securely with a heavy foam insert. Manufacturer says that the 5 ml bottles will also fit, but a number of reviewers said those jiggle around a little, so not quite as secure as the bigger oil bottles. This item comes in 3 different colors including hot pink (pictured), black, and red. See more information here.
This wooden storage box holds 25 oil bottles (up to 15 ml) and can also fit 10 ml roller blend bottles! It comes with multi-colored labels for the top of your bottles, latches securely, and includes a removeable sponge for the inside lid of the box to keep your oils safe. Check it out here.
If you need a wooden storage box with more room, then this one holds up to 56 bottles (5 ml – 15 ml) AND 12 – 10 ml roller bottles! Plus, I found a coupon code to save 15% off this one! Use coupon code: EGBXSALE at checkout to save. Shop here.
(Amazon pricing varies and coupon codes can expire at any time, so be sure to verify price before purchasing.)
If you are looking for a solid storage case just for roller bottle blends (10 ml) then be sure to take a look at this one that holds 10 – 10 ml roller bottles. It’s an easy way to keep them organized and secure! Shop for a roller bottle storage case here.
More essential oil tips & tricks you might enjoy:
- 7 Ways to Reuse Essential Oils Bottles
- How to Organize Essential Oils for Cooking
- How to Safely Store & Handle Essential Oils
- See all of our Essential Oil Resources here!