With a warm, woodsy aroma cedarwood essential oil will fill your environment with feelings of comfort when diffused. Use cedarwood to wind down after a long day and sink into a moment of peace. It is a wonderful addition to your skincare and household routine. Cedarwood is a must-have for any essential oil lifestyle.
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Botanical family: Pinaceae
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from the wood of the cedar tree
- Cedarwood is thought to be one of the first essential oils ever extracted in nature. It originally came from the wood of the Cedrus libani or Lebanon cedar tree
- The Cedars of Lebanon have significant religious importance and are mentioned in the Bible over 70 times
- Very few of these ancient trees remain alive today. Most of the cedarwood essential oil sold today comes from the Cedrus atlantica tree, which is considered a subspecies of the Lebanon cedar
Cedarwood was first used by ancient Egyptians in the embalming process. Ancient Sumerians later used cedarwood oil as a base for paints. In India, cedarwood was frequently used to ward off insects. Its wood was used by Phonecians to build strong ships that would withstand battle. Historically, cedar is considered an item of luxury and wealth.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
This essential oil has a sweet and woodsy aroma that is both comforting and grounding. It is considered a base when blending with other essential oils. Cedarwood blends well with lavender, cypress, bergamot, orange, and patchouli.
Uses for Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Cedarwood is approved for topical and aromatic uses. Do not use internally
- Apply directly to the skin or use a carrier oil for a long-lasting effect
- Diffuse cedarwood before bed to promote relaxation and a more restful sleep
- Add a few drops to your favorite moisturizer or toner and apply topically to improve the appearance of skin
- Use cedarwood as part of your hair care regimen to promote thick and shiny hair
- Make an outdoor spray using cedarwood to ward off unwanted pests
- Keep your clothes smelling fresh by adding a few drops of cedarwood to a sachet and placing them in drawers
- Use cedarwood all over your home for a fresh and natural deodorizer
Cedarwood Essential Oil Recipes
- Make a sleepytime blend using cedarwood essential oil and doze off to dreamland fast. Cedarwood is featured in these Diffuser Recipes for Sleep
- Got a man in your life? This Homemade Conditioning Beard Oil recipe promotes a healthy, neat, and well-groomed beard
- Create ambiance and set the mood with an essential oil candle. Cedarwood adds a delightful, woodsy aroma that can be enjoyed indoors or outdoors
- Wood floors require particular care and attention to keep them looking new. This Wood Floor Cleaner will leave your floors clean, shiny, and polished, with no harmful chemicals involved
- Leave your worries behind with an essential oil roller blend for emotional balance. Feel more peaceful and grounded with this No Worries Roller Blend
- Cedarwood makes a wonderful addition to a homemade men’s cologne due to its rich, woodsy aroma
Find all of our recipes using Cedarwood essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!
*Disclaimer: The statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition.