My favorite time of year is when the weather gets colder. I find that as the cooler weather sets in, there’s nothing that continues to bring a restorative sense of comfort like a delicious, hearty bowl of hot soup. This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup with Wild Rice covers all the bases.
Whether serving this soup by the cup for lunch with a fresh salad, or by the bowl with crusty bread and shaved parmesan cheese for a satisfying dinner, it’s a healthy one-pot dish that comes together easily.
With rich layers of flavor, this creamy soup is filling and delicious. The earthiness from the mushrooms, layers of flavor from the vegetables and richness from the cream and cream cheese all work so well together.
Adding Flavor with Vitality Essential Oils
Unlike traditional herbs and spices, Vitality oils make cooking faster and easier. Substituting Young Living Vitality oils may help to avoid the possible contamination from traditional herbs, spices and extracts too. You can learn more about that here.
The Vitality oils in this recipe are subtle stars of the show. They provide an added depth of herbaceous flavor indicative of any mainstay soup. It’s a wonderful bonus that the Vitality oils are so simple to use. Just sprinkle in a few drops and you’re done. No washing, chopping or measuring needed.
Black Pepper Vitality, historically referred to as The King of Spices, helps to support the central nervous system, circulatory system, and the digestive system.
Thyme Vitality may help to cleanse the body in multiple ways and the brand NEW Parsley Vitality is rich in antioxidants. Both oils may help support your body against the premature aging effects of day to day toxins.
In addition to being gluten-free and easily adaptable for the keto diet, this recipe can also be adapted for vegetarians. For a vegetarian option, simply increase mushrooms by 8 ounces, each vegetable by 1/4 cup and substitute vegetable base and broth for the chicken options. Voila!
Want to learn more about implementing Vitality Oils into your cooking? Join me at www.culinaryclean.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/oilymarymick/. You can find all my Vitality Oil Infused Cookbooks here.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup with Wild RicePrint Pin Rate
- 1.5 lb. fresh mushrooms I used organic shiitake and baby portobellos
- 1 lb. chicken cooked and shredded
- 8 C. chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 C. carrots diced
- 1 C. celery diced
- 1 C. white onion diced
- 1 C. wild heirloom rice blend
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 6 oz. cream cheese softened
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 2 Tsp Organic Chicken Base Better Than Bouillon brand preferred
- 3 drops Black Pepper Vitality
- 2 drops Thyme Vitality
- 2 drops Parsley Vitality
- Salt to taste
- Place carrots, celery, garlic and onion in a stock-pot with butter and cover.
- Sautee over low heat until tender. Add mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Cover for 5 minutes and let the mushrooms release their juices.
- Uncover and let the liquid reduce by half. Add chicken stock (or broth), chicken base and rice.
- Recover and let simmer over low heat for 40-50 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, mix softened cream cheese and Vitality Oils together in a small bowl. Add a couple of spoonfuls of hot liquid from the pan into the cream cheese mixture. Stir.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk both cream cheese mixture and heavy cream into the pot until fully incorporated and smooth. Add in chicken.
- Return soup to heat just until it begins to simmer.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- I cooked the chicken ahead of time in my Instant Pot on the poultry setting, about 15 minutes cook time.
- If modifying this for a keto diet, leave out the carrots and the rice.
- Be sure that you do not add the essential oils directly to the hot soup while it is cooking. They should be added to the cream cheese, and then added once the soup has been removed from the heat. You will reduce the flavor of the oils if the soup continues to cook at a high heat.