This Shredded Salsa Lime Chicken makes it onto my family’s meal plan at least once a week. Add it to tacos, burritos, or even serve on a salad. It’s sure to be a new staple in your home. The best part is, dinner can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
The winning combination of verde (green) salsa and lime essential oil is savory and flavorful. Spanish Paprika gives it just the right amount of smoke and spice. Serve with Lemon-Lime Guacamole for an added dose of yumminess. This recipe is mild, but has just the right amount of kick without being too spicy. Perfect for the whole family!
During the summer months, the last thing I want to do on a hot day is turn on my oven. With this recipe, you don’t have to! The secret to this recipe is the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, believe me, you need one. This amazing kitchen appliance has literally changed my life.
You can make a delicious dinner in record time, using only one pot. That means fewer dishes to wash and less clean up. Yes, please! I am not sure how I ever lived without an Instant Pot. Shredded Salsa Lime Chicken is just one of the many amazing recipes in my Instant Pot rotation.
Cooking with Essential Oils
We use only therapeutic grade essential oils in cooking and baking. If I can replace a flavoring or a spice in a recipe with a Vitality essential oil, I will. I use the citrus oils most frequently since I don’t always have a supply of fresh lemons or limes on hand for cooking.
1-3 drops of a citrus essential oil can be substituted for 1 tsp. of citrus zest in a recipe. A little goes a long way, so don’t overdo it. A toothpick swirl is a good place to start and add more essential oils if needed.
Make sure to use only pure essential oils in your cooking that are safe for internal use and cleared by the FDA for ingestion. Find out more here.
Shredded Salsa Lime Chicken
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 3 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 16 oz jar of salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons real salt
- 1-2 drops Lime essential oil (where to buy)
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Combine paprika, cumin and real salt. Coat chicken with spice mixture.
- Cover with salsa verde and close the lid.
- Set to Manual for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick pressure release. Add lime essential oil and stir to combine.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken with remaining liquid.
If you are new to Instant Pot cooking, we highly recommend this cookbook as a resource. It is full of quick and easy recipes that are made with minimally processed ingredients.
Recipe and Substitution Tips
- Be sure you use smoked paprika, not traditional paprika in this recipe. It has a rich, smokey flavor that works well with the cumin, without being too spicy.
- A pressure cooker requires liquid to come to pressure. The liquid in this recipe is the salsa. There is no need to add water. You can add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to increase the flavor.
- To shred chicken and pork, I use my KitchenAid Mixer with the flat beater attachment. This method is so much faster than hand-shredding, and the results are amazing.
More delicious essential oil recipes you might enjoy:
*Disclaimer: Products and essential oils listed on this site and in this recipe might be ingested should you choose to make this recipe. Only ingest essential oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and noted to generally be regarded as safe by the US Food & Drug Administration. You can see a complete list of those oils here. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.