Living in south Texas, homemade guacamole has been a staple in my home since I was a child. I have vivid memories of my dad making big batches of guacamole when they would host parties. I remember that he would leave the avocado shells and giant seeds on the counter while he would focus on mashing them all up and mixing in all the other flavorful goodies into the perfect tasting guacamole.
Fast forward to today and there are now messes of avocado shells and seeds on my kitchen counters as I mix up bowl after bowl for my boys. Lately, I’ve been adding a couple drops of lemon vitality essential oil and lime vitality essential oil to each batch and the end result makes me want to shout “OLÉ!” over and over and over.
The powerful citrus flavor from both the lemon and the lime essential oils perfectly complement the smooth avocado, the tangy crunch from the red onion and the zest from the cilantro.
Now mix up a batch for yourself, grab a chip, take a dip and shout OLÉ! yourself!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
- 2 large ripe avocados (seeded and mashed)
- 1 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 drops Lemon Vitality essential oil
- 2 drops Lime Vitality essential oil
- 1 small Roma tomato (diced)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Add avocado flesh to small mixing bowl and smash with a fork. Mix in the red onion, crushed garlic, lemon essential oil, lime essential oil, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sour cream and salt to taste.
- Add more lemon and/or lime essential oil, 1 drop at a time, to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
You might also enjoy these cooking recipes:
*Disclaimer: Products and essential oils listed on this site and in this recipe might be ingested should you choose to make this recipe. Only ingest essential oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and noted to generally be regarded as safe by the US Food & Drug Administration. You can see a complete list of those oils here. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.