Making your own all-natural cleaning spray is not as challenging as you think. And it’s not just for ‘crunchy granola’ people either. My guess is that you have all that you need right in your pantry. This DIY all-purpose cleaning spray will give you a sparkling clean home without any chemicals.
This simple recipe can be made in minutes and used all over your home. You will probably never go back to traditional cleaning sprays again!
The best part is, you can customize the essential oils to your scent preference, or to the level of grime. Citrus Fresh is perfect for an everyday countertop spray, while I might substitute in Tea Tree if dealing with a really grimy mess.
This simple all-purpose cleaning spray is perfect for:
- wiping off kitchen counters
- quick cleaning in the bathroom
- cleaning mirrors (use a lint-free cloth like these)
- everyday cleaning of small kitchen appliances
- taking care of spills
- wiping up pet messes
Why Make Your Own Cleaning Spray
When I was a kid the only cleaner used in our house started with a 4 and ended with a 9. It could be used on all surfaces, including kitchen counters that frequently come into contact with hands and even food.
These types of cleaners are loaded with hazardous ingredients. The EWG gives the most popular multi-surface cleaner a D rating due to a variety of health concerns including respiratory effects, allergies, skin irritation, and even cancer.
It’s so easy to make your own cleaning spray with essential oils and natural ingredients. Not only will you be reducing your toxic load, you will be saving money too. Plus, it’s safe for kids and pets!
How to Make a DIY Natural Cleaning Spray
The base of this recipe is vinegar and water. Now to some people, vinegar has a slightly putrid smell. In this DIY cleaning spray, the vinegar smell is no match for the powerful citrus punch that Citrus Fresh essential oil adds to the bottle.
I usually add about 10 to 15 drops of Citrus Fresh essential oil when I’m making up a batch with 1 cup of water-vinegar solution, but you can always do it ‘to smell.’
The uplifting aroma of Citrus Fresh perfectly masks the strong, vinegar odor and gives it a cheerful scent. Cleaning can be enjoyable again with essential oils!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
DIY All-Natural Cleaning Spray
- 16 oz dark glass spray bottle
- 1 part distilled white vinegar
- 1 part water
- 20-30 drops Citrus Fresh Essential Oil (where to buy)
- carefully add the *vinegar and water to the spray bottle
- drop 10 to 15 drops of essential oils for each cup of cleaning solution
- swirl to combine
- spray on a dirty surface and wipe with a clean, lint free cloth
*Vinegar should not be used on granite or quartz countertops. You might prefer the modification on our Kitchen Cleaning Wipes recipe found here.
- If you plan on storing this cleaning spray, use distilled water instead of tap water. It will prolong the shelf life
- We also recommend using glass bottles for homemade cleaners
- Essential oils can break down plastic over time. Plus, I think glass bottles just look fancier. I love adding a reusable chalkboard label so I don’t mix up my cleaners
Essential Oils to Substitute in this Recipe
- Tea Tree
- Cinnamon Bark
Not the DIY type? Young Living makes an all-in-one cleaning concentrate called Thieves Household Cleaner. It’s the perfect, versatile go-to for all your cleaning needs for a happy, healthy home. Find out more here.