This is officially the first recipe we’ve ever published that has no essential oils added to it. That’s odd, right?
The traditional process meticulously extracts rose essential oil from fresh roses and leaves behind a byproduct, rosewater, which is leftover from the steam distillation process.
The rosewater we are creating is much less complicated and more like rose tea, but suitable to replace traditional rosewater.
We use dehydrated organic rose petals (Rosa Damascena, to be precise) and cook them down in water to extract traces of rose essential oil. That’s it.
This easy homemade rosewater can be used in your favorite facial toner, as the base for your makeup remover, or added to your bath for a luxurious spa touch.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Yield – 4 cups
Preparation Time – 2 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
- pan with tightly fitting lid
- 2 ounces organic dried rose petals
- 4 cups distilled water
- quart jar
- Place the rose petals into the pan.
- Pour the distilled water over the petals and heat uncovered over high heat just until boiling. Use a spoon to press the petals into the water when they float to the top.
- Let the water come to a boil. Press the roses into the water a final time before turning off the burner.
- Remove from the heat and cover tightly with the lid.
- Let the water sit for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Pour the water through a strainer to capture the rosewater in a clean bowl (catching the rose petals in the strainer).
- Discard the rose petals and allow the rosewater to cool completely.
- Pour the rose water into the clean quart jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
To use: This rosewater can be used as a simple toner or in your favorite beauty recipes.
To store: Store in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
This recipe is included in our eBook, Essential Oil Recipes for Healthy Hair & Skin, along with more than 60 other tried & true recipes that we’ve created, tested, and personally use. Click HERE to see more information and purchase your digital copy today!
See all of our Essential Oil Beauty Recipes HERE.
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.