Often referred to as the “women’s oil,” Clary Sage has a warm, herbal scent that is both uplifting and relaxing. Clary Sage contains the rare constituent sclareol, making it effective in relieving inflammation and regulating hormones. Diffuse this essential oil during times of distress or sadness. Clary Sage is perfect for any woman who wants to feel balanced.
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Clear Eye
- Europe Sage
Historical Uses for Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary Sage is a flowering perennial native to the Mediterranean region. Greeks and Romans used Clary Sage to soothe skin irritations and alleviate swelling. In the Middle Ages, the seeds of Clary Sage were soaked in water and the remaining liquid was then used as an eye treatment wash.
- Clary Sage gets its name from the Latin word “Clarus,” meaning “clear”
- It is a close relative to common garden sage
- Useful in alleviating discomfort associated with a woman’s menstrual cycle
- It is thought to be an aphrodisiac used to boost libido
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Clary Sage essential oil is steamed distilled from the flowering tops and leaves
- It has a mellow, herbaceous aroma. Clary Sage is considered a middle note when blending with other oils
- This essential oil blends well with top notes like lavender, bergamot, and orange, as well as woodsy oils like cedarwood
- Deepen the intensity of a blend by mixing Clary Sage with the absolute jasmine for a more intoxicating aroma
Uses for Clary Sage
- Clary Sage essential oil can be used for topical and aromatic applications. It should not be taken internally
- This essential oil is gentle and safe for most users. Consult a physician if pregnant or breastfeeding
- Apply 3-4 drops to the abdomen and lower back during that ‘time of the month’
- Apply Clary Sage with a carrier oil for a more long-lasting effect on the skin
- Rub directly to the wrists and neck as a delightful perfume. Avoid direct sunlight for at least 12 hours after use
- Diffuse to create a calming and relaxing environment during times of stress
- Make a calming room spray by mixing 4 drops with 2 ounces of water. Spray on pillows and bedding before sleep
- Add a few drops to an Epsom salt bath to enjoy a relaxing soak
Tips & Recipes for Using Clary Sage Essential Oil
- We love using this essential oil in our Non-Floral Perfume Spray recipes. Find Clary Sage in this Obsessed Perfume Spray
- Roller Blends are a wonderful way to personalize your essential oil experience. This Girl Power! Roller Blend is great for maintaining emotional balance or try this Relaxing Roller Blend to promote feelings of peace
- Find Clary Sage in the following diffuser recipes:
- Add a little heat to your next date night with a Romantic Massage Oil for Her
- Restore shine and moisture to dry hair with this Overnight Deep Conditioner for Stronger Hair
Find all of our recipes using Clary Sage essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!