Helichrysum essential oil comes from a flowering plant that traditionally grows wild in the mountains along the Dalmatian coast of Croatia. Over the years, this wildflower has been over exploited leading to erratic harvests. This is likely why it is less common and more valuable (expensive) oil compared to some of its counterparts.
Nonetheless, it is a very powerful essential oil. It is best known for its stimulating, clarifying, and grounding effect on the emotions which makes it the perfect choice for diffusing during homework or study sessions. It may also help you process through emotional blocks rooted in anger and unforgiveness.
Helichrysum essential oil is also fantastic for the skin. Its cleansing benefits make it a wonderful choice to add to your daily cleanser or simply smooth it over your skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Purchase premium helichrysum essential oil here.
- Helichrysum italicum
Helichrysum essential oil has been used in traditional Mediterranean home remedies and tonics for centuries.
- It is also commonly known by names like “Everlasting” and “Immortelle” because of its flowers that retain their color, shape, and fragrance when dried.
- Some sources say that these dried flowers were often offered to Greek gods in ancient days.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Helichrysum essential oil is steam distilled from flowers.
- It has a rich, earthy yet fruity aroma with undertones of tea and honey.
- It is considered a middle note and a personifier when blending with other oils.
- This essential oil blends well with geranium, clary sage, rose, lavender, spices, and citrus oils.
- Helichrysum essential oil can be used for topical and aromatic applications.
- This essential oil should not be taken internally.
Tips & Recipes for Using Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Helichrysum essential oil is gentle and safe for most users.
- We suggest applying it topically with a quality carrier oil to reduce evaporation and help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- Many of us are looking for non-floral perfume options. Even though Helichrysum is distilled from flowers, it has a decidedly earthy and grounded scent. That’s why we love it in our Warm Heart Perfume Spray (this could actually be used on men and women).
- We love the woodsy, comforting, and balancing aroma of Helichrysum in our Purifying Diffuser Blend.
- We also blended this amazing oil with orange and clove in our fabulous Harvest Room Spray!
- The slightly woodsy aroma of this essential oil made it a great choice to use in our Outdoorsy Cologne for men. This refreshing and light scents is perfect for the sportsman in your family.
Find all of our recipes using Helichrysum by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!