These Orange Cinnamon Biscuits are a perfect way to wake up in the morning. They’re a delightful combination of sweet, spicy, and citrus. Oh my! We developed these beauties from this inspirational recipe here. They’re soft, flaky, and perfect for everyone in the family to enjoy.
Let me give you a great tip for cutting the biscuits. I didn’t know this until I had been baking for years. Instead of using a knife to cut the 15 slices, get a length of dental floss, loop it around the rolled dough, and cross it over itself to cut the dough. Perfect slices, no smushed dough, and no doughy knife to wash! How cool is this?!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Orange Cinnamon BiscuitsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (plus more for rolling)
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold salted butter
- 1 cup whole fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract + 1/2 teaspoon (divided)
- 1 large egg
- 6 drops Tangerine Vitality Essential Oil
- 6 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 10 drops Orange Vitality Essential Oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking liner sheet.
- In your food processor, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Pulse the food processor to combine.
- Add in the 1/2 cup cold butter in 4 – 5 chunks. Pulse about 10 seconds until the flour looks crumbly and the butter is evenly distributed in small lumps throughout the flour mixture. It will look a little lumpy and mealy.
- Add yogurt, 2 teaspoons vanilla, egg, and Tangerine and Lemon essential oils to food processor. Pulse until dough ball forms and gathers along the side of the bowl.
- Remove from bowl onto rolling surface that is lightly covered with cornstarch. Knead the dough a few times turning it over onto itself and turning about 6 – 10 times. Don’t overwork the dough with your hands. This will heat the dough and cause the butter to melt. This will make for less than perfect biscuits.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out to 9 X 15 rectangle. It will be about ¾ inch thick.
- Spread the softened 2 tablespoons of butter over the dough rectangle. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the top of the butter.
- Roll the long side of the dough up with the butter mixture on the inside. You’ll end up with a 15 inch log. Slice into 15 sections (about 1 inch each).
- Bake on middle rack at 450 degrees for 10 minutes until biscuits are lightly browned.
- While the biscuits cool mix together the milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, Orange Vitality essential oil, and the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Stir until no lumps remain. Dip the biscuits into the glaze and allow them to sit for 5 minutes before serving.