My new obsession is frosting cupcakes. My oldest daughter and I binge watch Cupcake Wars each night dreaming of winning it all! That’s the creative inspiration for our Lavender Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe.
When the Young Living Vitality line came out, I was over the moon to try all the uses for these oils. And of course, I reached for the Lavender Vitality Essential Oil first to pump up my buttercream frosting.
I learned how to pipe a buttercream rose from this amazing video. This woman is an amazing teacher and her work is beautiful. She uses a 123 tip, but I was able to create a similar effect with my Wilton #125 tip.
Of course, you can use whichever tip you like or none at all. The colored sugar on the swirled cupcake is Wilton Lavender Sugar Sprinkles. So cute!
Make sure to send us pictures of your own creations with this delicious Lavender Vanilla Buttercream.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Lavender Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- In a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to blend the butter on medium until pale and fluffy. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add in about half of the powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low. Blend until ingredients are integrated and then turn the mixer off. Scrape the sides down again.
- Add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low once again. Blend until ingredients are integrated and then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Turn off and scrape the sides down again.
- Turn the mixer on high and mix for 3 minutes. The frosting will increase in volume.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add in the vanilla extract and 1 drop of Lavender essential oil. Mix on low and taste the frosting. If the lavender flavor is too light for your tastes, add 1 more drop of Lavender essential oil and blend again.
- Now add a tiny amount of food coloring. Mix on low until the color is uniform. You might want to add more gel color for a darker, deeper shade. This might take a few sessions of mixing and scraping until all the color is consistent throughout.
- Place the frosting tip into the decorator bag. Move the frosting to the bag and frost your cupcakes.