One of my favorite fall pastimes is carving pumpkins into grinning jack-o-lanterns and roasting the seeds. Scooping out the oozy, gooey insides of a pumpkin is a fall right of passage. Once you’ve carved a pumpkin, you only get to enjoy its toothy grin for a few days. It’s a lot of work to carve a pumpkin, so make it last longer with this Essential Oil Pumpkin Preserver Spray.
Follow along as I discuss How to Preserve a Pumpkin with Essential Oils, plus a yummy recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds with Thieves Vitality.
How to Make a Pumpkin Last Longer
- Be sure to remove all the seeds and pumpkin guts and fully scrape down the sides so the surface is clean. A large metal spoon works great for this
- Refrigerate your pumpkin at night to rehydrate. An ice bath in the sink also works if you don’t have room in your fridge
- Avoid using real candles since prolonged heat can start to bake the pumpkin. Try LED candles or glowsticks instead
- Spray it down with a DIY pumpkin preserver daily to prevent mold and mildew, and extend the life of your pumpkin
Essential Oil Pumpkin Preserver Spray
Spraying the inside of a carved pumpkin with essential oils can help extend its life and keep it from rotting prematurely. Enjoy your jack-o-lantern longer, even after Halloween.
- 15 drops Thieves Essential Oil (where to buy)
- 15 drops Peppermint Essential Oil (where to buy)
- 2 oz witch hazel
- 2 oz distilled water
Mix all ingredients in a 4 oz spray bottle. Shake gently to combine. Generously spray the inside and outside of the pumpkin. Repeat daily until pumpkin begins to mold and soften. Then discard.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
If you plan on carving a pumpkin this fall, don’t forget to save the seeds to roast! You can add Vitality essential oils to roasted pumpkin seeds to intensify the flavor and add a festive spin. This recipe uses Thieves Vitality for a touch of spice, and honey to add sweetness.
Whip this recipe up for a healthy snack you’ll want to eat all season long!
Thieves Pumpkin Seeds
- 2-3 cups raw pumpkin seeds, cleaned
- 2 drops Thieves Vitality (where to buy)
- 3 teaspoons cooking oil (avocado or coconut)
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl
- Fully coat the seeds with the spice & oil mixture
- Spread evenly in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown
- Add additional salt to taste