Show your skin some love this fall with a homemade Pumpkin Sugar Scrub. As the seasons change, skin can get dry and patchy. Sugar is an amazing exfoliant and super effective at removing dead skin cell build-up. This all-natural sugar scrub uses pumpkin and pure essential oils to brighten, smooth, and polish your skin. Enjoy the delicious aromas of autumn and the benefits of a spa experience at the same time!
Some of my favorite fall baking recipes contain brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin. The delightful combination reminds me of all the things I love about autumn. This sugar scrub smells good enough to eat (and you could)! The natural ingredients will leave your skin clean, smooth, and moisturized.
Benefits of Pumpkin
Pumpkins are not only tasty in baked goods, but they are also loaded with vitamins and minerals that are great for your skin. Pumpkins are fruit (not vegetables), so they contain naturally occurring fruit acids. Alpha hydroxy acids, like those found in pumpkin, increase cell turnover by removing dead skin cells. This leaves skin looking brighter and smoother.
Pumpkins also contain beta-carotene, which when used in beauty products helps to decrease the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots. Lastly, pumpkin contains zinc, which can help with acne-prone skin by controlling oil production.
Pumpkin is the perfect ingredient to use in a DIY sugar scrub!
Orange Essential Oil
- Citrus oils are always a wonderful addition to your skincare routine. Orange can be used to promote clear and healthy skin. It works to cleanse skin impurities and brighten the complexion. Orange essential oil is photosensitive, so direct sunlight should be avoided for up to 12 hours after topical use.
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil is a spicy, hot oil, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be applied to the skin. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it a good choice for removing dead skin cells. It may also improve circulation. Cinnamon bark should be diluted at a 1:4 ratio when applied to the skin and is not recommended for children under 6.
Brown sugar is ideal for a face scrub because it’s softer than white sugar or salt. It naturally contains glycolic acid which promotes cell turnover. Brown sugar used as an exfoliant will remove dirt and oil from clogged pores and lock in moisture.
Sweet Almond Oil
Almond oil is great for dry skin. It brings with it loads of vitamins including Vitamin E which moisturizes and nourishes skin for a healthy glow. Almond oil is amazing for dry or itchy skin since it packs amazing soothing qualities.
This DIY sugar scrub is made of pumpkin spice and everything nice. It makes a great gift!
Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil (or coconut)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-8 drops orange essential oil
- 2 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
- Add brown sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Spoon in almond oil and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine.
- Add essential oils and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- To use: Apply a generous amount of scrub to your face and neck. Using your fingers, scrub skin gently in a circular motion. Rinse off and pat skin dry.
- For best results, store in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
More essential oil recipes you may enjoy: