Our home has tile floors from our front door through the kitchen and dining room all the way to the back door. This high traffic area can get a lot of wear and everyday gunk. Our natural homemade Tile Floor Cleaner recipe gets our floors clean, degreased, and leaves the entire house smelling amazing.
This recipe was designed for real floors. If your floors aren’t dirty and you just need a wet mop to polish your perfection, then don’t bother with these powerful ingredients.
I hate mopping and then finding that the solution I used didn’t really cut through all the gunk and grease that is on our floors. You can feel it under your feet on your “clean” floor. Yuck! The Sal Suds and vinegar in this recipe combine together to provide exceptional grease cutting power. My kitchen gets tons of use and this recipe leaves it sparkly.
We use this mop bucket and we absolutely love it!
- It’s simple to use.
- The spinning action allows us to use just the right amount of water to get the floors clean without leaving puddles.
- The reduced water usage cuts our drying time in half.
Pro Tips for Tile Floor Cleaner:
- Trust me when I say to add the water first. The detergent will bubble like crazy if you add it before the water.
- You don’t need more than 1 teaspoon of detergent for 1 1/2 gallons of water. It’s crazy concentrated. If you use more, it will be too much and you’ll have to rinse the floors multiple times with water to remove the excess detergent.
- Regular Castile soap is not going to be a suitable replacement in this recipe. The detergent we use is more powerful and really cleans and disinfects.
- The vinegar is crucial for killing germs, degreasing, and removing odors. You can skip it if your house is sanitary and smells like daisies already.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Homemade Tile Floor Cleaner Recipe
Yield – floor for your entire home
Preparation Time – 2 minutes
Cooking Time – 0 minutes
- 1 1/2 gallons hot water
- 1 teaspoon Dr. Bronners Organic Sal Suds Liquid Cleaner
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 20 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- Put the water into your mop bucket.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Use mop to combine ingredients.
- Mop your tile floor as normal.
- No rinsing necessary.
Here are 5 fun alternative scents for your tile floor cleaning solution:
- 10 drops Tangerine Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lime Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
Calm and Clean
- 20 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
Brisk and Fresh
- 10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 10 drops Eucalyptus Radiata
- 10 drops Geranium Essential Oil
- 10 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- 2 drops Jasmine Essential Oil
- 10 drops Pine Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 drops Marjoram Essential Oil
You might also enjoy the following household cleaning recipes:
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.