If you have carpet in your home, then you know the pain and the joy of keeping it clean and fresh. We have a dog and six kids so this is a must for us. In addition to the fabulous fabric refresher, we use a simple routine to gently refresh and deodorize our carpet with simple and natural ingredients. Check out our Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer recipe…
This natural carpet cleaner and deodorizer recipe is designed to:
- neutralize and eliminate odors
- clear the air of impurities
- freshen a room
This recipe is quick and easy and you’ll probably have these ingredients in your pantry right now. It leaves a light, fresh scent and helps neutralize any normal household carpet odors.
As with any cleaner or fabric treatment, please spot check this recipe on an unseen corner of the carpet to make sure that the color will not be affected. If this spot check is clear, then proceed with the full treatment of the entire room.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Carpet Cleaner & Deodorizer
Yield – 1 cup
Preparation Time – 2 minutes
Cooking Time – 0 minutes
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 15 drops Purification essential oil
- 6-8 oz. glass shaker bottle
- Mix the ingredients and store them in a glass and stainless steel shaker. Try this shaker if you don’t already have one.
- To use, sprinkle over your carpet and let it set for about 5 minutes.
- Vacuum as normal.
- Store in a safe place away from children. If you store it open in your linen closet, it will keep the air fresh and deodorized. No stagnant, stale closet smell!
For strong odors or heavy pet areas, we add another step that integrates a simple spray cleaner recipe. We combine the Deodorizing Carpet Powder and with a DIY household liquid spray cleaner for powerful, natural results. The combination of the two is perfect for when you need a little boost in your cleaning.
- To use with the Deodorizing Carpet Powder, sprinkle the carpet with powder. Allow powder to sit on carpet about 5 minutes.
- On the areas that need extra attention, lightly spray with the All-Purpose Non-Toxic Cleaning Spray. The mixture will bubble a little.
- After about 30 seconds, dab up the damp mixture and vacuum up the remains.
This spray recipe is a great all-purpose household cleaner all by itself. And, yes, we promise that the vinegar smell goes away very quickly.
Find more Household Cleaning Recipes in our Make & Take Party Pack that features the following essential oil recipes:
- Bathroom Air Spray
- Carpet Cleaner & Deodorizer
- Daily Shower Cleaner
- Liquid Dish Soap
- Kitchen Degreaser & Oven Cleaner
- Stainless Steel Cleaner
- Tile Floor Cleaner
- Window & Mirror Cleaner
More essential oil household recipes that you might enjoy:
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.