Copaiba essential oil is highly sought after for its pain-relieving benefits. It contains the highest levels of the terpene beta-caryophyllene, which is a cannabinoid. Copaiba is often compared to CBD oil for having similar anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used daily to support overall wellness, elevate mood, and to promote radiant skin.
Copaiba is considered an intensifier that may boost the effects of other essential oils when blended. The pronunciation of Copaiba is highly controversial. It has been pronounced koh-pa-ee-ba and also koh-pie-ba. Whichever way you say it, you’ll want to have this essential oil in your arsenal.
Copaiba Essential Oil
- Balsam Copaiba
Copaiba was first harvested in southern Brazil as far back as the 16th century. Native Brazilian healers used copaiba topically and orally to relieve minor pain and skin infections. It was also used as an insect repellent in other parts of the Amazon. Today, over 500 tons of copaiba come out of Amazon rainforests each year.
- Copaiba is harvested by tapping in the same way maple syrup is extracted from a tree
- The Copaiba tree can grow up to 100 feet tall and live up to 400 years. It produces tiny white flowers and nuts, which are not used in the distillation of the essential oil
- Copaiba is FDA-approved as a food additive in conjunction with other flavors
- Copaiba comes from the bark of the Brazilian Copaifera tree. The balsam (or sap) is steam distilled to create copaiba essential oil
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Copaiba has a mild, pleasant scent that is not overwhelming or harsh
- Its aroma is sweet, woodsy and earthy
- It blends well with lavender, lemon, orange, cedarwood, and clary sage
Top Uses for Copaiba Essential Oil
- Copaiba essential oil can be used for topical and aromatic applications
- Copaiba Vitality is approved for internal use. Add 1-2 drops to your favorite beverage or take in a vegetable capsule
- This essential oil is gentle and safe for most users. Consult a physician if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking medication
- Apply copaiba directly to the skin, or with a carrier oil if you prefer
- Mix with coconut oil and apply to sensitive gums and teeth
- Add to your favorite moisturizer to improve the appearance of skin
- Diffuse copaiba to create a calming and relaxing environment
- Add a few drops to an Epsom salt bath to enjoy a relaxing soak
- Rub copaiba directly onto sore muscles and joints to support healthy inflammation
Recipes Featuring Copaiba
- If you like to stay active, sometimes that leads to overworked and tired muscles. This Muscle Rub cream is amazing for soothing everyday aches and pains
- Make a special man in your life an all-natural Homemade Men’s Body Wash. Try a woodsy and earthy blend with copaiba and cypress essential oils
- Calm the mind with this Lavender Diffuser blend featuring Copaiba. This combination is perfect when you need a moment alone, or a second to regroup
- A moment in the great outdoors can help melt away the stress from the day. This Peaceful and Relaxing Forest Diffuser Blend is great for promoting a sense of calm and peace
- Copaiba makes it onto our list of the Best Essential Oils for Fitness. It amplifies the effects of other topical oils, boosting the effectiveness of all their uses after an intense workout
Find all of our recipes using Copaiba essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!
*Disclaimer: The statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition.