Do you have a busy bunch at your house? If you’re the type of person who likes to stay active, sometimes that leads to overworked and tired muscles. This Muscle Rub recipe is amazing for soothing normal, everyday aches and pains. It’s also a wonderful massage cream to help with normal growing pains (for kids over 6). Or use it to ease discomfort after sitting in front of your computer for a while.
The essential oils are the key to this cream’s power. Panaway Essential Oil Blend is the main power-packed oil in our recipe. It has an energizing and uplifting aroma that will help you relax your tired muscles.
Panaway is a blend of:
- Wintergreen Essential Oil (Gaultheria procumbens – leaf)
- Helichrysum Essential Oil (Helichrysum italicum – flower)
- Clove Essential Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus – bud)
- Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita)
The other key ingredient is Copaiba Essential Oil. Copaiba is gathered from the resin of trees in South America. This oil supports the body’s natural response to irritation. It helps your body do its job! Copaiba contains the highest amounts of beta caryophyllene (55%) of any known essential oil. Copaiba essential oil can also amplify the effects of other topical essential oils.
Bring it all together with solid coconut oil, which we use for many reasons. This is a multi-purpose oil that we use in our kitchen and our beauty recipes so we always have some on hand. No need to go out and buy special ingredients. Coconut oil also helps keep the essential oils on the skin longer so the essential oils don’t evaporate before they can be absorbed into the skin.
We keep this Homemade Muscle Rub Cream in the refrigerator. This keeps the coconut oil solid since it melts at room temperature. The cool cream feels wonderful when you first apply it straight out of the fridge. Just take a small amount with a spoon or your finger. A little goes a long way so start small. You can always grab another dab if you need more.
Note about strength: You can play with the ratios in this recipe if you want a stronger blend. It’s easy to add more essential oils to this recipe. Just melt the entire batch of muscle rub cream over a very low double boiler. Then add in more oils to your liking. Allow it to cool and put it back in the glass jar. Experiment and have fun!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Homemade Muscle Rub Cream
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 30 drops Panaway Essential Oil Blend
- 10 drops Copaiba Essential Oil
- 4 oz. glass jar
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave until just melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the essential oils with the melted coconut oil. Mix until completely blended.
- Pour into a 4 oz glass jar for storing.
- Store in a very cool, dark place where the cream will become solid. If your home stays around 75 degrees then just store at room temperature and enjoy your creamy muscle rub any time. If your home (like mine) is almost always warmer than 75 degrees then you’ll want to consider storing the rub in the refrigerator. In the refrigerator the cream will harden and become very solid. This is normal. I just scoop out a tiny spoonful when I’m ready to use it straight from the fridge and it quickly softens right in my hand.
- This mixture will last for at least 12 months while still maintaining its power.
Please note: PanAway is not intended for children under the age of 6 without the advice of a health professional.
More essential oil recipes that you might enjoy:
- Chest Rub with Essential Oils
- Moisturizing Massage Oil Blend
- Peaceful Bath with Lavender
- Shower Bombs
- Sore Muscle Soak
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.