If I’m drinking coffee, then I’m drinking flavored coffee. Like creamy French vanilla lattes or a delicious mug of Peppermint mocha. Since I can’t afford to spend $5 a day for one at a coffee shop, and there aren’t any vanilla essential oils, I’ve hacked the mocha recipe using my Peppermint essential oil. And, it is amazing! Try this delicious coffee hack for a homemade Peppermint Mocha without using sugary syrups and artificial flavors!
Most homemade Peppermint Mocha recipes call for peppermint syrup, which you could buy from the grocery store or attempt to make yourself.
I’d rather just use my Peppermint essential oils since I have them on hand and it only takes 1 to 2 drops to achieve the exact same flavor. I take that back…it only takes 1 to 2 drops to achieve a much better and richer flavor.
This is my favorite recipe for Homemade Peppermint Mocha…using essential oils for that minty-blast of flavor!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
- 2 cups 2 % milk (sub coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk)
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar (this could be adjusted/reduced to taste)
- 1 to 2 drops Peppermint Vitality essential oil
- Optional toppings: whipped cream or chocolate syrup drizzles
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and whisk it vigorously as it starts to bubble. Pour in the brewed coffee.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar. (I don’t recommend adding the cocoa directly to the saucepan without mixing it with the sugar because it will clump and not integrate well with the coffee-milk!)
- Whisk in the cocoa-sugar mixture into the milk-coffee mixture, until creamy mocha forms.
- Pour into 2 coffee mugs and add 1 to 2 drops Peppermint essential oil per mug, to taste. Stir with coffee stirrer and sip away!