If I’m drinking coffee, then I’m drinking flavored coffee. Like creamy French vanilla lattes or a delicious mug of Peppermint mocha. Since I can’t afford to spend $5 a day for one at a coffee shop, and there aren’t any vanilla essential oils, I’ve hacked the mocha recipe using my Peppermint essential oil. And, it is amazing!
Most homemade Peppermint Mocha recipes call for peppermint syrup, which you could buy from the grocery store or attempt to make yourself.
I’d rather just use my Peppermint essential oils since I have them on hand and it only takes 1 to 2 drops to achieve the exact same flavor. I take that back…it only takes 1 to 2 drops to achieve a much better and richer flavor.
This is my favorite recipe for Homemade Peppermint Mocha…using essential oils for that minty-blast of flavor!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Homemade Peppermint Mocha
Yield – 4 – 8 oz. servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
- 2 cups milk – 2%, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar (this could be adjusted/reduced to taste)
- 1 to 2 drops Peppermint Vitality essential oil
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, chocolate syrup drizzles
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and whisk it vigorously as it starts to bubble. Pour in the brewed coffee.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar. (I don’t recommend adding the cocoa directly to the saucepan without mixing it with the sugar because it will clump and not integrate well with the coffee-milk!)
- Whisk in the cocoa-sugar mixture into the milk-coffee mixture, until creamy mocha forms.
- Pour into 2 coffee mugs and add 1 to 2 drops Peppermint essential oil per mug, to taste. Stir with coffee stirrer and sip away!
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: Products and essential oils listed on this site and in this recipe might be ingested should you choose to make this recipe. Only ingest essential oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and noted to generally be regarded as safe by the US Food & Drug Administration. You can see a complete list of those oils here. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.