Nutmeg is not just for holiday baking! This versatile essential oil has topical and aromatic uses. Nutmeg Vitality can be taken internally to support a healthy lifestyle. Add Nutmeg Vitality to your favorite holiday sweets or savory side dishes. The spicy aroma of nutmeg is comforting and warm. Reach for nutmeg essential oil during times of stress or irritability.
Nutmeg Essential Oil
Distillation Method: Steam distilled from fruits and seeds of the nutmeg tree.
- Nutmeg essential oil was in the original recipe for Coca Cola. Today it can be found in personal care products such as toothpaste and cough syrup.
- It gets its name from the Arabic word “mesk”
- The nutmeg tree can grow up to 70 feet tall. It is native to Indonesia, but nutmeg can also grow in the Caribbean and parts of Malaysia.
- Nutmeg was first used medicinally by the Chinese.
- It was mentioned in Hildegard’s Medicine Book in the middle ages, one of the first known published resources by an herbalist and naturopath.
Aroma and Blending
- Nutmeg has a sweet, spicy aroma with woodsy undertones. It is considered a middle note with a strong leading aroma.
- This essential oil blends well with other spicy oils like ginger and cinnamon bark.
- Mix nutmeg with citrus and woodsy oils for an uplifting scent that will remind you of the holiday season.
Uses for Nutmeg Essential Oil
- Do not use Nutmeg with children under the age of 5. Use caution if pregnant or nursing. Nutmeg is not recommended for use if you have a history of epilepsy.
- Diffuse 3-4 drops for an energizing and uplifting boost.
- Dilute 1-2 of nutmeg with a carrier oil and apply it to strained joints and muscles.
- Apply diluted nutmeg to the abdomen to ease menstrual discomfort.
- Drop nutmeg into a diffuser necklace to enjoy its aroma on the go.
- Add 10-15 drops of nutmeg and coconut oil to a 10ml roller bottle for a boost of confidence throughout your day.
Use for Nutmeg Vitality Essential Oil
- Only Nutmeg Vitality by Young Living is approved for internal use. Read more about safely ingesting essential oils here.
- Add 1 drop of Nutmeg Vitality and 1 drop of carrier oil (such as coconut oil) to a vegetable capsule and take daily.
- Incorporate Nutmeg Vitality into your favorite holiday baked goods or beverages.
- Mix Nutmeg Vitality with a teaspoon of honey and add to a cup of tea for digestive support.
Recipes featuring Nutmeg Essential Oil
- This recipe for Baked Apples with Cinnamon & Nutmeg Streusel is the perfect fall dish. The aroma as it bakes is sweet, mildly spicy, and quite delightful on a brisk, autumn day.
- If you are a coffee drinker, enjoy this Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer as a natural alternative to the PSL. The delightful flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove essential oils add just the right amount of spice.
- Nutmeg is featured in one of our Essential Oil Roller Blends for Confidence. This blend can help as you face everyday struggles and setbacks.
- You don’t need candles or wax warmers to create the many scents of the holiday season. Make a Holiday Room Spray with nutmeg to make your home smell completely amazing.
- Take your wellness one step further by adding Nutmeg Vitality to your daily dose of NingXia Red in a NingXia Shot Recipe.
Diffuser Blends with Nutmeg
- Diffuse nutmeg during the holidays to put you in the perfect holiday mood, all season long. Try this Christmas diffuser blend featuring nutmeg:
- 1 drop Nutmeg
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 3 drops Citrus Fresh
- This diffuser blend reminds me of breakfast muffins first thing in the morning. It makes me feel well-rested and ready for the next task. Try this Energizing diffuser blend featuring nutmeg:
- 2 drops Orange
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark
- 1 drop Nutmeg
Find all of our recipes using Nutmeg essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!
*Disclaimer: The statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition.