Peppermint Bark is a classic holiday treat that is best enjoyed with family and friends. The winning combination of white and dark chocolate is enhanced by the Peppermint Vitality essential oil. Top it off with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes for a festive twist. It’s also the perfect dessert for gift giving!
I am not big on sweets. Growing up we did not consume a lot of sugar. We never had ice cream, soda, or even cookies on hand. There was never dessert served after dinner in our house. These things were reserved for special occasions. I think that is part of the reason why I’m not a huge fan of sugary things and prefer savory to sweet any day.
I do, however, enjoy a small piece of a sweet treat every now and again. During the holidays, I reach for bite-sized treats like Peppermint Fudge and Peppermint Brownies. This Peppermint Bark is the perfect size to satisfy a sweet tooth, without overindulging. It is a holiday tradition in my home to make a festive dessert for us all to enjoy.
Baking with Peppermint
When I think of baking with peppermint, there is no substitute for the quality and flavor of Peppermint Vitality essential oil. Peppermint oil is not the same as peppermint extract. Peppermint extract is made by soaking the peppermint leaves in alcohol or diluting the extracted oil in alcohol. The flavor will not be as intense as with peppermint oil and the extract will evaporate quickly at high heat.
Peppermint essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and stem of the plant. It is roughly four times as potent as peppermint extract, so you can use less in a recipe. It will keep its flavor when using it in baked goods.
One of the best things about making Peppermint Bark is that it requires no baking, a few dishes, and only 4 ingredients. You can complete the dish from start to finish in under 30 minutes. Make this sweet treat for all your friends and family…plus enough for you to indulge a little too!
Bring the rich flavors of chocolate and the minty goodness of peppermint into your home this holiday season with this Chocolate Peppermint Bark!
Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- In a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate chips. If you do not have one, place the dark chocolate in a glass mixing bowl and fit it snuggly on top of a pot of water. Allow the water to come to a boil, and the chocolate to melt. Stir to combine.
- Pour the dark chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread out evenly. Let cool in the fridge.
- While the dark chocolate cools, melt the white chocolate in a double boiler, or using the glass bowl method. Remove from heat. Let it sit for 2 minutes and add essential oils.
- Remove the dark chocolate from the refrigerator. Spread the melted white chocolate directly on top and smooth to the edges. Place back in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Spread crumbled candy canes into the white chocolate and gently press them down. Let cool in the fridge until it is completely set.
- Break the bark into 2-3 inch pieces.
Want a FREE Peppermint Bark Treat Topper Label? Fill out the form below to subscribe to our email list and download a FREE PDF copy to print at home.
Once subscribed, you will receive an email confirmation with a password to access the file.
More holiday essential oil recipes you might enjoy: