Living in Texas gives me many opportunities to enjoy some fun during long summer days. When that fun is done we all pile into the kitchen for some instant relief. This After Sun Spray (pulled right out of the fridge) helps to soothe skin and provides a gentle cooling effect with the use of Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils.
You’ll want to make a batch to have on hand during the whole summer!
I grew up reaching for my mother’s aloe vera plant. She had lots of houseplants, but this one was always her favorite. She’d gently pull off one of the thick, juicy leaves and scrape the goodness out from the center. The aloe vera gel directly from the plant was just perfect for soothing and calming our skin.
I don’t have my own aloe vera plant today, but I still remember and take advantage of all the benefits of this beautiful little plant.
Benefits of Aloe Vera:
- Aloe is full of antioxidants that fight free radicals to keep your skin smooth and healthy
- It gently cleanses and soothes irritated skin
- Aloe helps your skin regenerate after minor irritations
I buy aloe vera gel from my local natural food store. You can also find very good options here. Make sure to find at least 98% pure aloe vera. This will ensure that you’re getting the good stuff without a lot of additives or fillers.
I keep a 16 oz. refillable glass spray bottle of After Sun Spray in my refrigerator during the summer. Here’s the beautiful part:
- The refrigeration helps keep the mixture fresh for a very long time.
- It’s cold when you spray it on which adds a welcome refreshment to the experience.
- Everyone in the family knows exactly where to find it when they come in from the heat.
You can safely use this recipe on most members of your family. It is diluted to a very weak solution so that it’s safe for most people. Certain individuals have developed sensitivities to Peppermint Essential Oil when used topically. Those individuals should omit the Peppermint from the recipe.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Soothing After Sun Spray
- 1 cup distilled water
- 3/4 cup aloe vera gel (we’ve tried several types and this aloe is very good!)
- 1 tablespoon fractionated coconut oil
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 16 oz. large glass spray bottle
- Combine all the ingredients in a large spray bottle
- Swirl to combine
- Store in the refrigerator when not in use
- Yield: One 16 oz bottle
- Spray on skin for instant cooling and gentle soothing
You might also enjoy these essential oil recipes:
- Outdoor Annoyance Free Spray
- Moisturizing After Shower Body Oil
- Overnight Deep Conditioning & Spray On Conditioner
- Vanilla Lip Balm
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.