My favorite way to avoid outdoor annoyances is to stay inside…in the air conditioning…drinking citrus water. But since I want to enjoy the outdoors with my six kids, going outside is pretty much on the agenda.
So we tried lots of over-the-counter sprays for outdoors. The main active ingredient in these sprays was DEET (N,CN-DIETHYL-M-TOLUAMIDE). DEET works by forming a barrier on your skin so the bugs can’t “smell” you. Unfortunately, this ingredient can cause skin and lung irritation, and so we wanted to look for good protection without the irritant factor. This led us on a search to find a more natural solution.
After a little research online, I found that you can make your own outdoor spray with essential oils. Awesome! And, even better than that, I had all the ingredients already! Double awesome!
Here’s how this Homemade Outdoor Bug Spray works:
The witch hazel helps because it delivers the essential oils to the skin and evaporates quickly. So it gets the oils dispersed and then it gets out of the way.
The vegetable glycerin creates a protective barrier for the skin and can absorb moisture from the air to actually smooth and moisturize your skin. True story! Here in Texas, there is plenty of moisture in the air so I love the idea of beautifying my skin while protecting from pests.
The Purification essential oil blend is where the magic happens! Purification contains Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavandin, Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Myrtle essential oils.
I add Lavender essential oil for its comforting and fresh aroma. That’s it. You do like to smell good, don’t ya?
These dark amber bottles are perfect because they protect the recipe from UV light. They’re small enough for packing in your purse or backpack and they provide a misting spray for great coverage.
- Apply this pray before going outdoors and reapply regularly to maintain that layer of protection on the skin.
- As with any essential oil recipe, make sure to keep away from the eyes and mucous membranes and wash your hands after use. You don’t want this stuff in your eye!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Homemade Outdoor Spray
- 2 ounces witch hazel
- 1-1/2 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 20 drops Purification Essential Oil Blend
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 4-ounce amber spray bottle
- Combine all ingredients in a dark, glass spray bottle. Shake to combine.
- This spray recipe will last for at least a year. The essential oils and witch hazel will keep it fresh.