My sensitive skin is tough to manage. I wash my face daily and I moisturize, but for years I neglected the important task of cleaning my makeup brushes. And that’s just gross and definitely not doing my skin any favors. This natural Makeup Brush Cleaner keeps my brushes fresh and clean, without any harsh chemicals.
I’m not sure anyone actually taught me how to care for my skin. I was a teenager long before there were makeup tutorials and skincare videos. I was an adult when I finally figured out that I needed to clean my makeup brushes regularly. You live, you learn.
3 reasons why you need to clean makeup brushes:
1. Dirty makeup brushes are dirty. They contain all kinds of yuck that you probably don’t want spread back onto your skin. The bristles trap bacteria, dirt, oil, and residual product that can irritate your skin. If your skin is acne-prone, this can lead to irritation and unexpected breakouts.
2. Dirty brushes can make applying makeup more difficult. As makeup builds up in the bristles, they start to stick together. This can make it harder to achieve a smooth, flawless look. If you start to notice streaking and an uneven makeup application, it’s time to clean your bushes.
3. Cleaning makeup brushes makes them last longer. If you’ve made the financial investment into quality brushes, then you’ll want to keep them in the best shape possible for as long as possible. You’re more likely to take better care of something if it costs more.
Why you’ll love this makeup brush cleaning recipe:
- this recipe is marvelous for all types of brushes
- it calls for very few ingredients
- it removes makeup residue without harsh chemicals
- natural ingredients rinse clean
- essential oils help wash off deep-down dirt and residue
Makeup Brush Cleaner Ingredients
Castile soap was chosen for its superior cleaning power. This versatile vegetable-based soap can be found in so many of our personal care and household recipes. Castile soap is gentle and safe for all skin types. It gets the job done without any fillers, dyes, or synthetic fragrances!
Tea Tree and Lemon essential oil are added to cleanse and disinfect. Tea Tree has antibacterial properties that makes it prefect for dirty brushes. Lemon works to break up and wash away makeup and dirt, while brightening stains and discoloration.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Natural Makeup Brush Cleaner
- 1-2 teaspoons unscented liquid Castile soap
- 4 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 2 drops of Lemon essential oil
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
- Rinse the bristles under warm running water
- Place the Castile soap and essential oils in a small bowl, the palm of your hand, or on a makeup brush cleaning mat
- Gently swirl the bristles of the brush in your palm. Use your fingers to rub the makeup residue off of the brushes
- Repeat steps if makeup remains
- Rinse under warm running water until the water runs clean
- Gently reshape the bristles pack them back into place and allow them to dry on a clean, dry cloth overnight
- Use once a week to keep your brushes clean
Makeup brush cleaning tips:
- Use quality brushes that will hold up well after years of makeup application and weekly washing. I love the withSimplicity brushes. They are made from high-quality vegan, synthetic fibers that are soft on skin, giving you an even application.
- Use quality makeup that is high in pigmentation so you only have to use a little to achieve the desired results. Shop the clean makeup brand that I trust.
- I clean my brushes on the same day every week so I don’t forget. Sundays are my day for a fresh start to the week.
- Wash your scrubbing washcloths on the same weekday as your brushes so it’s all part of your routine.
Want to really get your makeup brushes clean? Try this Makeup Brush Cleaning Pad to thoroughly clean your brushes in combination with our cleaner recipe above.