One of my all-time favorite salads is mixed greens or spinach with avocado, blue cheese, and grapefruit. I usually toss a balsamic vinaigrette with it but decided to match the flavors of the grapefruit into this homemade dressing. This simple homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette is sweetened by honey, a perfect balance to the tangy grapefruit essential oil and juice that makes up the acidic part of the dressing.
Mixing and matching flavors in a salad is a fun game for me. Playing this silly game resulted in this outstanding salad with a homemade grapefruit vinaigrette.
Here’s why it’s perfect:
- Crisp watercress and spinach.
- Creamy avocado.
- Bite-y red onions.
- Pungent blue cheese.
- Sweet grapefruit-tinted dressing.
Tossed altogether and you’ve got a perfectly mixed and matched flavor explosion!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Avocado & Blue Cheese Watercress Salad with Homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette DressingPrint Pin Rate
- 1 small bunch watercress
- 6 oz. bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 large avocado seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 15 oz. can grapefruit segments juices reserved
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the watercress and baby spinach. Add the diced avocado, sliced red onion and grapefruit segments. Toss in the blue cheese crumbles.
- In a resealable glass container, add the grapefruit juice, olive oil, honey and 1 or 2 drops Grapefruit essential oil, to taste. Add a pinch of salt and pepper each. Shake vigorously.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss lightly.
- Serve Watercress Salad with Avocado, Blue Cheese and Homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette Dressing.
It also makes for a perfect mason jar salad recipe to take to work or school! I prep 5 mason jars on Sunday afternoon so that my lunch is ready all week long. Use one recipe like this one or mix & match to keep the variety going.
Leave a Reply