One of my all-time favorite salads is mixed greens or spinach with avocado, blue cheese, and grapefruit. I usually toss a balsamic vinaigrette with it but decided to match the flavors of the grapefruit into this homemade dressing. This simple homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette is sweetened by honey, a perfect balance to the tangy grapefruit essential oil and juice that makes up the acidic part of the dressing.
Mixing and matching flavors in a salad is a fun game for me. Playing this silly game resulted in this outstanding salad with a homemade grapefruit vinaigrette.
Here’s why it’s perfect:
- Crisp watercress and spinach.
- Creamy avocado.
- Bite-y red onions.
- Pungent blue cheese.
- Sweet grapefruit-tinted dressing.
Tossed altogether and you’ve got a perfectly mixed and matched flavor explosion!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Avocado & Blue Cheese Watercress Salad with Homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette DressingPrint Pin Rate
- 1 small bunch watercress
- 6 oz. bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 large avocado seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 15 oz. can grapefruit segments juices reserved
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the watercress and baby spinach. Add the diced avocado, sliced red onion and grapefruit segments. Toss in the blue cheese crumbles.
- In a resealable glass container, add the grapefruit juice, olive oil, honey and 1 or 2 drops Grapefruit essential oil, to taste. Add a pinch of salt and pepper each. Shake vigorously.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss lightly.
- Serve Watercress Salad with Avocado, Blue Cheese and Homemade Grapefruit Vinaigrette Dressing.
It also makes for a perfect mason jar salad recipe to take to work or school! I prep 5 mason jars on Sunday afternoon so that my lunch is ready all week long. Use one recipe like this one or mix & match to keep the variety going.
More essential oil food recipes you might enjoy:
- Blueberry Cardamom Scones
- Grilling Marinades
- Lavender Pound Cake
- Lemon-Lime Guacamole
- Tarragon Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
*Disclaimer: Products and essential oils listed on this site and in this recipe might be ingested should you choose to make this recipe. Only ingest essential oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and noted to generally be regarded as safe by the US Food & Drug Administration. You can see a complete list of those oils here. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.