With spring just around the corner, we’re looking forward to the sunshine and gathering with friends. It’s easy to introduce your friends to baking with essential oils when you serve this Lavender Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze at your next ladies’ night or brunch.
The light and fluffy texture of this cake brings to perfection the floral and citrus bursts of flavor. We don’t usually cook with flowers in my house, so my family was pleasantly surprised by the delightful hint of lavender highlighting the freshness of the lemon.
This recipe features the new Vitality oils from Young Living. I’m thrilled to be able to enjoy Lavender Vitality Essential Oil in new and exciting food recipes. And, of course, I wanted to start with dessert!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 10 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (plus 10 drops for glaze)
- 6 drops Lavender Vitality Essential Oil (plus 1 drop for glaze)
- 1/4 cup edible lavender flowers (plus 2 tablespoons separated for topping)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- mini fluted tube pan
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare baking pans. We used the adorable mini fluted tube pan listed above.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs into the butter mixture one at a time making sure to thoroughly mix in each one before adding the next one.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Now alternate adding the dry mixture and buttermilk into the butter mixture a little at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, 10 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil, 6 drops of Lavender Vitality Essential Oil, and 1/4 cup lavender flowers.
- Pour batter into cake molds and bake at 325 for 33 - 36 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To create the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, heavy cream, 10 drops of Lemon Vitality Essential Oil and 1 drop of Lavender Vitality Essential Oil. Stir thoroughly. Drizzle over the cooled cakes and sprinkle lightly with extra lavender flowers.
I’ve also used this silicone heart mold pan. This recipe made 18 of the heart-shaped cakes and you’ll only bake it for around 25 minutes for these little heart-shaped beauties.