The power of essential oils is sometimes hard to explain to new users.
- How do scents affect us?
- Why do the characteristics of an essential oil blend make me feel a certain way?
- My feelings and reactions to essential oils are not all a learned response, right?
For instance, I do love the smell of Cinnamon Bark essential oil because it reminds me of warm, freshly-baked cinnamon rolls on a cool, autumn morning. But the memory of that moment isn’t really all that’s going on. The essential oil is not just reminding me of a good feeling and delicious flavor. It’s affecting my brain in a very real way.
The way that diffusing essential oils molds our way of thinking and reacting is profound.
- Essential oil inhalation can change our perception of pain and worry.
- The aromatic influences of essential oils can affect our perception and mood. (This one right here is why we have our Mood Lifting Diffuser Blend recipes!)
And as we learn more about essential oils and our brains, we can reach for oils that help us with learning, focus, memory, and more.
These essential oil diffuser recipes for focus are intended to help a person align their thoughts toward a set goal. The essential oils chosen were because of their ability to support our cognitive faculties and sharpen our thoughts toward the task at hand.
Great reasons to try one of these diffuser recipes for focus:
- Studying for a big test
- Balancing your checkbook
- Boost productivity of afterschool study time
- Tightening your focus at tax time to finish the task
- Tuning up everyone’s attention during an important family meeting
- Improving your ability to get work done when you might be tempted by distraction
These are six of our favorite Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes for Focus.
We hope that you’ll try them all to see what works for you the next time you need help keeping your mind on track.
Lemongrass & Basil
The herbal essential oils in this recipe bring a crisp, freshness to any environment that make it easier to focus. In fact, the first time I reached for an oil to try and focus I grabbed Basil essential oil. I didn’t even know at the time that Basil had such well-researched effects to reduce excitability and promote calm to allow my mind to focus.
- 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 1 drop Basil essential oil
Bergamot & Cypress
Truly Cypress blends well with so many other essential oils. It’s particularly striking when combined with the sweetness of Bergamot. This blend is especially wonderful for children because of its inviting scent.
- 1 drop Bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop Cypress essential oil
Lavender, Black Pepper, & Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood
Stop what you’re doing and try this blend right now. It creates a base layer of peace with the sweet and mellow Sandalwood. That is developed further by the peaceful and mild Lavender. On top of all those scents you’ll find the striking and enchanting Black Pepper essential oil. As a result, it takes this otherwise sweet and relaxing blend and amps it up with energy. This blend is great for clearing your mind of distractions and worry to allow you to focus on the moment.
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
- 1 drop Black Pepper essential oil
- 1 drop Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil
Lemon & Peppermint
This is a classic diffuser combination that is energizing and centering all at once. I adore this blend for after school when the spirit needs a little boost and encouragement to persevere and complete a tedious assignment.
- 2 drops Lemon essential oil
- 1 drop Peppermint essential oil
Tangerine, Ginger, and Clove
Wow! Choose this blend to kick your motivation and laser-focus into gear. The spices pep up the sweet and tangy Tangerine to bring a sense of warmth, comfort, and energy. This blend is great when you’ve been putting something off because of procrastination. It’s comforting and focusing all at once.
- 2 drops Tangerine essential oil
- 1 drop Ginger essential oil
- 1 toothpick swirl of Clove essential oil
Joy & Grapefruit
This blend just makes me smile because of the floral and citrus elements. I would use this blend for a Bible study group or a session of writing thank you cards after a big event. It’s bright, joyful, and full of energy to inspire you to get the job done.
- 1 drop Joy essential oil
- 1 drop Grapefruit essential oil
Be sure you are effectively using your essential oil diffusers by checking out our free Comprehensive Diffuser Guide here!
Check out more of our Diffuser Blend Recipes like:
- 7 Energizing Diffuser Blend Recipes
- 11 Relaxing Diffuser Blend Recipes
- 15 Tips to Increase Sleep (+ 5 Sleepy Time Recipes)
- 5 Mood Lifting Diffuser Recipes
- 5 Diffuser Blends Using Your Premium Starter Kit Oils
And, don’t forget about our Top Picks for Best Essential Oil Diffusers for Under $20!
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.