This simple Homemade Bath Bomb recipe uses quality ingredients and pure essential oils to create an all-natural, affordable bath bomb. Store-bought bath bombs are not only expensive, but they can also be toxic! They often contain dyes and artificial fragrances that are absorbed by our largest organ, our skin. Practice a bit of self-care today with this easy bath bomb recipe!
Let’s face it, as busy adults we all wish we could take more baths. It can be hard to set aside personal time to unwind and relax in a bath. My tub is usually occupied by tiny humans and their floating toys.
When I do finally get the tub to myself, I reach for a bath bomb with essential oils to intensify the effects and make the best use of the (little) time I do have. Plus, bathing in a tub can reduce stress, ease aching muscles, and may calm a restless mind.
Bath Bomb Ingredients
- The base of a Bath Bomb is citric acid and baking soda. This is what creates the fizz.
- Epsom salts are known for soothing achy or tight muscles. Adding Epsom salts to a bath can also increase magnesium levels in the body, which can be depleted by stress.
- Coconut oil is a natural source of Vitamin E. This makes it great for moisturizing the skin.
- Adding essential oils to a bath bomb can have numerous therapeutic benefits. Listen to your body and choose an oil to support how you are feeling!
- We chose to leave food dye out of this recipe. If you wanted to add a little color, we recommend these natural food colorings. You can also hide small toys inside if you are making them for kids.
- This bath bomb recipe was tested with both fractionated coconut oil and jojoba oil. I enjoyed the coconut oil best since it left my skin soft and moisturized, similar to the feeling of body oil. You could also use sweet almond oil with a similar effect.
- We used a 2″ metal mold, but you could also use a mold like this cute silicone rose option. These take a little longer to dry, but the flat bottom makes them easy to store. They also make great gifts!
New to essential oils? Learn more about the brand of essential oils we use and why we chose them.
Homemade Bath Bomb Recipe
Bath Bomb Ingredients
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of citric acid
- 3/4 cup of Epsom salts
- 4 tablespoons of fractionated coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon water in a spray bottle (optional)
- 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2″ metal bath bomb molds
Bath Bomb Directions
- Combine baking soda, citric acid, and Epsom salts in a medium mixing bowl. Use a fork to break up any clumps and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine fractioned coconut oil and the essential oil of your choice. We like lavender and Stress Away best!
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the baking soda mixture. It is very important that you do not add the liquid too fast. This will cause the mixture to activate prematurely. If the mixture seems too dry, use the spray bottle to add a bit of water one spray at a time.
- Use a spoon to slowly combine the ingredients. The mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Fill both sides of the mold and press together firmly. Both pieces of the mold should close together tightly.
- Remove the bath bomb from the mold and leave it out overnight to dry.
- Makes 3-4 bath bombs.
- Drop into a warm tub and enjoy!
Best Essential Oils to Add to a Bath Bomb:
- Stress Away
- Sacred Mountain
- Ylang Ylang
- Blue Tansy