Romantic, relaxing, and sweet. Ylang Ylang essential oil has a luxurious and unmistakable aroma. Ylang Ylang flowers were traditionally scattered on the beds of newlyweds in Indonesia. Its scent is often associated with feelings of love and euphoria.
Ylang Ylang essential oil can have a positive effect on emotions. It has been shown to calm the mind, while simultaneously promoting a positive outlook. This fragrant oil may aid in relaxation when diffused or applied topically.
You can also use Ylang Ylang in personal care and household recipes. Its sebum balancing properties make it a perfect choice for use on the hair and skin. Ylang Ylang is a popular ingredient in many lavish perfumes and beauty products, including the famed Chanel No.5.
- Fragrant Canaga
- Macassar-Oil Plant
- Perfume Tree
The Ylang Ylang tree originated in the Philippines, but today is commonly grown for the perfume trade. Early in the 20th century, French chemists studied the effectiveness of this essential oil against Malaria, Typhus, and infections of the intestines. It was historically believed to balance yin and yang.
- Ylang Ylang is pronounced EE-lang EE-lang (no -y- sound).
- It is derived from unique star-shaped flowers. Its name means “flower of flowers.”
- Ylang Ylang is a common flavor for ice cream in Madagascar.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Ylang Ylang essential oil is steam distilled from the flowers of the Ylang Ylang tree.
- It has a floral aroma with a slightly spicy undertone.
- This essential oil is often blended with other oils to mellow its intensity. It blends especially well with Lemon, Bergamot, Grapefruit, and Sandalwood.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil can be used for topically, directly inhaled, or diffused.
- This essential oil is not for internal use.
Tips & Recipes for Using Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Ylang Ylang essential oil is gentle and safe for most users to use over the age of 2. Take caution if you have low blood pressure.
- We suggest applying with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- This is a great essential oil for introducing your friends to oils. These roller blends are perfect to help your friends and family fall in love with essential oils:
- If you’re looking for a way to diffuse this beautiful essential oil, try one of our diffuser blends:
- Our Love Story Perfume recipe is perfect to wear on a date night. Give it a try this weekend and let us know how it goes! (If you’re looking for a manly version, give this Confidence Cologne a try.)
- Our Bath Salt recipe combines Ylang Ylang and Bergamot for a perfectly feminine scent that you’ll love!
- Certainly don’t forget our His and Hers Romantic Massage Oil recipe!
Find all of our recipes using Ylang Ylang here. Purchase premium Ylang Ylang essential oil here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!
Leave a Reply