Simple white cake mix transformed by the luscious juice of key limes and Lime essential oils…topped off with a double-lime cream cheese frosting.
These cupcakes are perfectly soft and fluffy with just the right hint of lime. The cream cheese frosting is loaded with creamy lime flavor that balances and complements the cupcake portion. (These would also be amazing with Jade Lemon Vitality oil!)
These are perfect for those days where you just need a citrus-tropical pick me up. Also, they would be ideal to serve to family and friends at a bridal or a baby shower!
Can you make these Key Lime Cupcakes without essential oils? Of course! But, why would you? The oils really make the flavor come alive in a way that the squeezed juice can’t. Just trust us.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Key Lime Cupcakes
Yield – 18 cupcakes
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 22 to 24 minutes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water (as directed on cake mix box)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil (as directed on cake mix box)
- 3 egg whites (as directed on cake mix box)
- 4 drops Lime Vitality essential oil
Key Lime Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened (half of 8 oz. block)
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- Juice from 1 key lime
- Zest from 1 key lime
- 2 drops Lime Vitality essential oil
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- Ahead of time: Soften the cream cheese and butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add 18 cupcake liners to muffin tins and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Add the Lime essential oil to the batter. Pour evenly into the 18 prepared muffin tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the muffin tins and let cool on cooling rack to room temperature. (If you don’t let them cool completely, the frosting will melt and fall off the cupcakes…which is fine if you like melty frosting!)
- While the cupcakes are baking, mix up the key lime frosting. Add all frosting ingredients to stand mixer or mixing bowl and beat for 3-4 minutes, or until smooth. Taste and add more lime essential oil if you wish to have a stronger lime flavor. To make the frosting to your preferred thickness, add more powdered sugar to thicken, or a drop or two of milk to thin out the frosting. Add a piece of plastic wrap over top of the frosting in the bowl and place in the refrigerator if your kitchen is too warm while the cupcakes cool down.
- When the cupcake are cooled, add hefty dollop of frosting to each cupcakes and spread around.
- Serve Key Lime Cupcakes, enhanced with Lime essential oils.
Please sign up for our weekly email newsletter where we share new recipes and ways to use essential oils in and around your home.
*Disclaimer: Products and essential oils listed on this site and in this recipe might be ingested should you choose to make this recipe. Only ingest essential oils that are 100% pure, therapeutic grade and noted to generally be regarded as safe by the US Food & Drug Administration. You can see a complete list of those oils here. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.