When I was younger I had very oily skin and it’s only recently that the balance leveled out. The idea of putting any oils on my face was just inconceivable. Why would my skin need MORE oil? This quick and easy beauty recipe for Overnight Facial Moisturizer can really help your skin glow and stay healthy, without feeling oily!
I’ve found through experimentation with a few ingredients that an overnight facial moisturizer can really help my skin glow and stay healthy without being oily!
Testing Carrier Oils
I began creating this recipe with jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is amazing because it’s easily absorbed into hair and skin. Lots of people just love it because it doesn’t leave a greasy feeling. When I used it within my daily beauty routine I found that the combination of essential oils and jojoba oil just left my skin wanting more. Jojoba oil is very light and my skin just needed deeper moisture.
Next, I tried grapeseed oil. That was tricky because the only grapeseed oils I knew about were cheap oils extracted with solvents. There was no way I was putting that on my face. So I kept researching and found some grapeseed oils (very few) that are organic and cold-pressed without using yucky chemicals. So I bought a bottle and really love it. I just didn’t love it on my face.
I use grapeseed oil now for essential oil rollerball blends. It goes on silky and smooth and absorbs quickly. There is a little bit of an odor (a little like wine) that I just didn’t love when it was so close to my nose. So I was still on the search for the perfect oil for my sensitive face.
This is where my story gets good!
I had heard about sweet almond oil and I had used it as an oil for after a bath or in the winter months. I just didn’t think it would work on my face since it’s a little heavier than jojoba and grapeseed oils. Boy was I was wrong. It’s perfect for my face in so many ways. I noticed a difference after only one night of using this recipe. My skin was smooth and moisturized!
Testing Essential Oils
So now that I found a good fatty vegetable oil to use as a base, I needed the perfect mixture of essential oils. I started with equal parts of Lavender, Frankincense, and Tea Tree essential oils. They all have great benefits (see details below) but the ratio was a little too astringent for what I was looking for.
So after some playing around I boosted the Lavender and reduced the Tea Tree. Voila!
The recipe below is perfect for me and my skin and you should play around to see what works for your beauty routine!
This overnight facial moisturizer is just that – to be worn overnight. It would definitely not be a good oil blend for me to wear under makeup as it takes a while for the oil to be absorbed (Most of the time I apply my mineral makeup directly after applying our toner).
Plus the combination of essential oils that I use offer their own calming and peaceful influence in my night time routine.
Here is an overview of each of these awesome ingredients in this quick and easy beauty recipe for Overnight Facial Moisturizer:
- Nourishes skin with deep moisture that is easily absorbed
- Invigorates the skin and maintains a glowing complexion
- Rich in Vitamins A, C, and E – great for skin health
Lavender Essential Oil
- Moisturizes and enhances skins radiance
- Supports the body’s normal process of detoxification
- Creates a calming aroma during sleep
Frankincense Essential Oil
- Supports normal cell regeneration
- Maintains the smooth appearance of healthy skin
- Used for thousands of years to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Comforting and gentle to all skin types
- Enhances beauty
- Moisturizes and softens even sensitive skin
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Overnight Facial Moisturizer
- 4 teaspoons sweet almond oil
- 40 drops Lavender essential oil
- 30 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 oz. dark glass bottle
- In a 1 oz colored glass bottle, mix all the ingredients. Screw the lid on tightly and gently shake to combine.
- To use, place about 10 – 15 drops of the mixture in the palm of your hands. Apply to clean face and neck.
- Store in a cool, dark place away from the reach of children.
- Makes enough for 30 nighttime applications.