Frankincense has been used since the beginning of time in spiritual ceremonies and beautifying rituals. Distinguished by a complex, woodsy and sweet aroma, Frankincense essential oil is known for its mental and emotional grounding qualities and is sought after for its beauty benefits.
Historical Uses for Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense was used in ancient sacrificial ceremonies and rituals because it was believed to help improve communication with God.
- The Bible contains over 52 references to Frankincense.
- One of the oldest know scientific records dating back to 16th century B.C., the Ebers Papyrus, contains references to Frankincense.
- According to scripture, it was one of the gifts given to the Christ child.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Frankincense oil is distilled from the resin of Boswellia carterii trees located in northern Africa near the Arabian Peninsula.
- It derives its distinctive, rich, balsamic scent from the naturally occurring constituent alpha-pinene.
- It is considered a base note when blending with other oils.
- Frankincense blends well with all other oils due to its enhancing and equalizing characteristics.
- Frankincense essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications.
- Frankincense for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils.
Tips & Recipes for Using Frankincense Essential Oil
- Frankincense essential oil is gentle and safe for most people to use.
- We suggest applying Frankincense essential oil with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer and for a longer-lasting effect.
- Take advantage of the skin health properties of Frankincense oil by whipping up a batch of our Owie Ointment to have on hand.
- Calm your emotions and alleviate occasional nervous irritability by using Frankincense topically in one of our many roller blends which contain Frankincense. Try:
- Frankincense can also be diffused for emotional and mental grounding.
- Try one of our Diffuser Blends for Peace and Contentment.
- We love using Frankincense in our “Inspired” Men’s Essential Oil Cologne and our “Warm Heart” Perfume Spray to create earthy, non-floral fragrance options for both men and women! These make fabulous gifts for Valentine’s Day or even Mother’s or Father’s Day!
- The beauty benefits of Frankincense – it supports and smooths the skin – makes it a natural choice to use in our:
Find all of our recipes using Frankincense essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!