Not too floral. Always relaxing. Lavender essential oil is the first oil many of us fell in love with. Find out more about an essential oil that is perfect for adding to your beauty regimen, perfume spray, and even your buttercream frosting.
Lavender Essential Oil
- True Lavender
- English Lavender
Historical Uses for Lavender
The early Greeks called lavender “nard” and it is under this name that it’s referenced in the Bible as a holy herb used in the temple. It has been both claimed to be used as an aphrodisiac and a way to calm the fires of love. It can be found in literature for hundreds of years promoting consciousness, health, love, and peacefulness.
- Lavender is actually part of the mint family
- It takes 27 square feet of lavender plants to make one 15-ml bottle of lavender oil
- The word lavender is derived from the Old French word lavandre, which originates from the Latin word lavare (to wash)
Aroma and Blending Lavender
- Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the flower of the lavender plant
- It has a light floral scent that is clean and refreshing. It is slightly herbal with mild, woodsy undertones
- Lavender is considered a middle note when blending with other oils
- It blends well with all floral and citrus oils. It blends particularly well with geranium and chamomile
Tips for Using Lavender Essential Oil
- This essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications
- Lavender for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils
- Lavender is gentle and safe for most users
- We suggest applying lavender with a carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect
Top Uses for Lavender Essential Oils
- Add this oil to your aromatherapy routine to promote relaxation and calm
- Drop lavender into a bath with Epsom salts after a long day
- Mix into your favorite moisturizer to refresh tired skin
- Use lavender in homemade soaps, cleaners, room sprays, and deodorizers
- Spray lavender onto dryer balls to release wrinkles and freshen your laundry
- Apply a few drops to your neck and chest for a natural floral perfume
- Keep on hand for unexpected bug bites, burns, and wounds
Recipes with Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender Vitality essential oil tastes great in recipes like Lavender Pound Cake or our Lavender Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. You can also serve it in a delicious glass of Lavender Lemonade for a special treat!
- Lavender is a great essential oil for introducing your friends to oils. Our Focused Teacher Roller Blend and Lavender Gift Basket are super to help your friends and family fall in love with essential oils.
- If you’re looking for a little stress relief, help soothe your entire family with our Chill Diffuser Blend or any of these 10 Diffuser Recipes with Lavender
- Our Heart Smiles Perfume recipe will cheer you and everyone you come into contact with. Try it on a Monday and let me know how it goes!
- Relax and unwind in a warm tub with a Homemade Lavender Bath Bomb
- Following a long day in the sun, soothe and relieve exposed skin with an After Sun Spray
Find all of our recipes featuring Lavender essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!