Commode. John. Potty. Whatever you call it, no one really ever wants to clean it.
We use essential oils to clean in every room of our house. The bathroom is no exception. One thing I don’t use in my bathroom is bleach. Yup. Not even in my toilet. This Fizzing Toilet Bomb with Orange Essential Oil packs the same cleaning power as bleach, but with all-natural ingredients.
If you’re looking for a fast, natural, and effective way to clean your toilet, then give these toilet bombs a try. This recipe is similar to a bath bomb, but with cleaning power. Drop it in and walk away.
The fizzing action of baking soda and citric acid starts attacking stains and odors, while the essential oils work together to freshen and brighten. Castile soap finishes the job.
What’s in a Toilet Bomb
It is important that the ingredients I use around my kids are as natural as possible. I am never without a good supply of the ingredients used in this recipe:
- Orange essential oil has a clean, fresh scent. It contains about 90% limonene, making it perfect for cleaning and degreasing
- Thieves essential oil is a magical combination of Clove, Cinnamon, Lemon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary oils. The aroma of Thieves is spicy and cleansing
- Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is incredibly effective as a cleaner and deodorizer
- Castile soap is a natural cleaning agent made from olive oil. It can be used in household or personal care recipes
Why I Don’t Use Bleach
Bleach has a pretty bad rap, and not without reason. The warning label on the bottle states that it is an eye and skin irritant, and it should be kept out of reach of children.
The label also warns you to use in well-ventilated areas, leading me to believe that its fumes can be harmful to the lungs if inhaled. No, thank you!
I can’t watch my kids 100% of the time. I simply cannot take a chance that one of them could get their hands on such a dangerous chemical. So no bleach for me.
Fizzing Toilet Bomb Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon Castile soap
- 10 drops Orange essential oil (where to buy)
- 10 drops Thieves essential oil(where to buy)
- Silicone mold
- Spray bottle
- Combine baking soda and half the citric acid in a mixing bowl. Mix well with a fork to remove any clumps
- In a separate bowl, mix together Castile soap, Orange and Thieves essential oils
- Slowly add the water to the dry ingredients using a small spray bottle
- Combine until the mixture resembles wet sand
- Add soap and essential oil mixture and remaining citric acid
- You should be able to mold the mixture with your hands. Press into the silicone mold about 3/4 full. They will puff up a bit in the tray
- Once dry, drop into your toilet and let it fizz for 3-5 minutes. Wipe with a toilet brush if stains remain
- Store in an airtight container
Recipe Notes and Substitutions
- Be careful not to add too much liquid all at once or too fast, or the toilet bombs won’t fizz or activate in the toilet water.
- I found that dividing the citric acid helped achieve more of a fizzing action and made it easier to mix.
- It will take about 12 hours for these to dry completely. I was able to pop them out of the mold effortlessly and use them immediately.
- I used a 2 oz silicone mold, but you could also try it with a 1 oz mold and it will yield about 30 toilet bombs.
More essential oil recipes you might enjoy: