Weather can be brutal on skin. Elbows and knees and everywhere in between can get dry and painfully chapped in the winter and worn out during the hot summer months. The weather here in the south isn’t even as extreme as some climates and we still have skin issues. When my 2-year-old makes fun of my crusty, weird elbows I know it’s time to throw together a batch of this Frankincense Body Butter recipe.
Lotion is nice, but when you need extra TLC whip up this luxurious, creamy body butter with Frankincense essential oil.
No crazy ingredients needed. Most of the all-natural ingredients are easy to find at your local health food store or online. And, of course, the essential oils should only come from a trusted source.
- Shea butter is a fantastic emollient which means it holds in moisture and keeps it in place to keep your skin from drying out when the temperature drops and the wind blows in. Shea butter is the fat extracted from the nut of an African tree. It’s been used in beauty remedies and skin protection recipes for centuries.
- Coconut oil comes from the meat of the coconut palm. We enjoy using cold-pressed coconut oil in the kitchen, and it’s also perfect for many beauty recipes for skin and hair. It’s a natural moisturizer that leaves a noticeable difference on your skin.
- Vitamin E is a naturally occurring antioxidant which can help reduce the signs of aging. It is wonderful for boosting the skin-smoothing properties in your beauty recipes. Just a little bit can make a huge difference.
- Frankincense essential oil is known for giving a smooth appearance to healthy skin. It promotes healthy cell regeneration. Frankincense can also provide a sense of grounding and help relieve occasional sadness or winter blues that everyone experiences every now and then. I love that Young Living includes this oil in the starter kit. It’s a must-have in our house!
The directions are just as simple. You only need a hand mixer or stand mixer to blend your own homemade body butter in one easy step.
- It is important that the shea butter and coconut oil are solid when you blend them. You might need to refrigerate them for about 30 minutes if they’ve been stored in a warm climate.
- I’ve seen other recipes that call for the ingredients to be heated to blend them. I’ve never had an issue with blending the ingredients well enough in their solid form. The stand mixer or hand mixer will give smooth, creamy results.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Frankincense Body Butter
- 3/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons of melted beeswax, optional (see hot weather directions below)
- 8 oz. amber glass jar
- Combine the shea butter, coconut oil, and vitamin E in your mixing bowl.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to blend the mixture.
- Scrape the sides and then whip the ingredients until they double in volume.
- Add in the essential oil and whip another 10 seconds.
- Pour or spoon into the jar.
- Apply a little to your skin to keep it luxuriously smooth.
*Remember that a little bit goes a long way!
Body Butter Tips
- Store in a dark, container (or dark environment) away from direct sunlight to help protect the essential oil from degrading. This body butter can be stored for 12 – 24 months.
Hot Weather Body Butter Tips:
- Make sure to store this body butter below 76 degrees. That’s the temperature when coconut oil starts melting. If you find that your home is too warm the body butter will melt and the air that you whipped in will leave turning the mixture into more of a cream.
- If this happens you can refrigerate the mixture and re-whip it or you could melt the mixture and stir in 2 tablespoons of melted beeswax. When this cools it will stay in a more solid state even when it gets warmer.
Frankincense body butter is a great gift idea. Make some for yourself and an extra batch to gift for teachers, friends, and pretty much anyone with skin. 🙂
Natural Beauty Mega Pack
The Natural Beauty Mega Pack is perfect for deeply nourishing your skin, hair, and more! Everyone will enjoy these cute little gifts. Each guest can take home and enjoy their own DIY beauty treatment samples.
- Clarifying Hair Rinse
- Cleansing Face Wash
- Facial Moisturizer
- Facial Toner
- Invigorating Body Wash
- Leave-In Spray Conditioner
- Nourishing Cuticle Oil
- Sugar Scrub
See all the details to host a fun and successful party for friends and family in our Natural Beauty Make & Take Party pack here!
This recipe is included in our eBook, Essential Oil Recipes for Healthy Hair & Skin, along with more than 60 other tried & true recipes that we’ve created, tested, and personally use. Click HERE to see more information and purchase your digital copy today!