Cypress essential oil is greenish in color and has a fresh, herbacious and woody scent that can be described as both calming and invigorating. This complex essential oil has many applications.
Because of it’s emotionally grounding properties, Cypress essential oil is the perfect choice for diffusing to bring about a sense of emotional grounding and stability.
This evergreen scent with balsamic undertones is often used in men’s fragrance products. It is also known for working wonders on oily or problem skin, making it a popular ingredient in hair and skin care products.
Historical Uses for Cypress Essential Oil
- The Chinese used Cypress essential oil in home remedies to lend support to the digestive and respiratory systems.
- The Greeks loved cypress’s comforting smell, and used it to clear their mind and senses.
- Cypress comes from a Greek word “sempervivens” which means “ever-living”.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Cypress essential oil is steam distilled from the branches of the of the Cypress tree.
- It has a fresh woody scent with evergreen undertones.
- It is considered a middle note when blending with other oils.
- Cypress essential oil blends well with bergamot, clary sage, juniper, lavender, lemon and sandalwood.
- Cypress essential oil can be used for topical and aromatic applications.
- Cypress essential oil should not be used internally.
Tips & Recipes for Using Cypress Essential Oil
- Cypress essential oil is gentle and safe for most users, however use with caution if you are pregnant.
- We suggest applying Cypress essential oil with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- We love diffusing Cypress essential oil! You might like these diffuser blends:
- Cypress essential oil lends a fresh, woodsy smell to our DIY Essential Oil Car Diffuser.
- We created a blend with Cypress essential oil that makes our fake Christmas tree smell like a REAL one.
- Enjoy a Nourishing Scalp Massage featuring Cypress essential oil to help stimulate circulation and remove dead skin cells. Perfect for growing out your hair!
- Cypress essential oil gives our Walk in the Park Non-floral Perfume Spray clean and natural aroma.
- You’ll love the invigorating and masculine fragrance of our Take on the World Men’s Cologne with Cypress essential oil.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!