Fresh, herbaceous, and spicy. Basil essential oil is a powerful oil that smells true to its plant form. A popular choice in Italian cooking, Basil essential oil is amazing in sauces, soups, and pastas. It can also be used to support the respiratory and immune systems with seasonal changes.
Find out more about an oil that can be used in a myriad of ways. From improving mental focus and energy, to adding flavor to your food, Basil essential oil is sure to be a favorite in all areas of your home.
- Sweet Basil
- Saint Joseph’s Wort
Historical Uses for Basil Essential Oil
Basil is a native plant to Asia and Africa. Its history goes back 5,000 years to India. It was brought to North America in the 16th century. Basil was traditionally used to ease physical, emotional and mental fatigue.
- It gets its name from “basileum,” the Greek name for king.
- Basil is a sacred plant in India, said to be favored by the gods.
- Italian women centuries ago wore basil to attract potential suitors. It is a symbol of love in present-day Italy.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Basil essential oil is steam distilled from leaves, stems and flowers of the basil plant.
- It has a slightly herbal smell with spicy undertones.
- It is considered a top note when blending with other oils.
- Basil essential oil blends particularly well with black pepper, fennel, lemon, and bergamot.
Uses for Basil
- Basil essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications.
- Basil for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils.
Tips for Using Basil Essential Oil
- Basil essential oil is gentle and safe for most users to use. Avoid if epileptic or pregnant. If you have any concerns, you should always contact a healthcare professional before using any essential oil.
- We suggest applying basil essential oil with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- Basil essential oil is highly concentrated, so use it sparingly. A toothpick swirl is a good amount to start.
Diffuser Recipes with Basil
- If you’re looking to feel less worried and experience more peace, try our Refreshing and Crisp Diffuser Blend.
- Give yourself some grace and some time to just be with this Sabbatical Diffuser Blend.
- The herbal essential oils in this Lemongrass and Basil recipe bring a crisp, freshness to any environment.
Recipes with Basil Essential Oil
- Basil Vitality essential oil tastes great in recipes like our Italian Marinade for Chicken or our Easy Spinach Pesto.
You can also add it to your NingXia Red like in our Thai Surprise NingXia Red Shot Recipe.
- Basil is a great essential oil for introducing your friends and family to oils. Our Outdoorsy Cologne recipe is refreshing and light and perfect for the sportsman in your family. Also try basil in a roller bottle like in our Test Day Roll-On Blend, for calm and focused kids all day long.
- Mix up your dish washing routine with our Homemade Liquid Dish Soap with Lemon & Basil. The citrus and herbal scent is so cheerful and bright!
Find all of our recipes using Basil essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!