Not too floral. Always relaxing. Lavender essential oil is the first oil many of us fell in love with. Find out more about this oil that is perfect for adding to your beauty regimen, perfume spray, and even your buttercream frosting.
- True Lavender
- English Lavender
Historical Uses for Lavender Essential Oil
The early Greeks called lavender “nard” and it is under this name that it’s referenced in the Bible as a holy herb used in the temple. It has been both claimed to be used to as an aphrodisiac and a way to calm the fires of love. It can be found in literature through hundreds of years promoting consciousness, health, love, and peacefulness.
- Lavender is actually part of the mint family.
- It takes 27 square feet of lavender plants to make one 15-ml bottle of lavender oil.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the flower of the lavender plant.
- It has a light floral scent that is clean and refreshing. It is slightly herbal with mild woodsy undertones.
- It is considered a middle note when blending with other oils.
- Lavender essential oil blends well with all floral and citrus oils. It blends particularly well with geranium and chamomile.
- Lavender essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications.
- Lavender for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils.
Tips & Recipes for Using Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender essential oil is gentle and safe for most users to use.
- We suggest applying lavender essential oil with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- Lavender Vitality essential oil tastes great in recipes like Lavender Pound Cake or our Lavender Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. You can also serve it in a delicious glass of Lavender Lemonade for a special treat!
- Lavender is a great essential oil for introducing your friends to oils. Our Focused Teacher Roller Blend and Lavender Gift Basket are super to help your friends and family fall in love with essential oils.
- If you’re looking for a little stress relief, help soothe your entire family with our Chill Diffuser Blend.
- Our Heart Smiles Perfume recipe will cheer you and everyone you come into contact with. Try it on a Monday and let me know how it goes!
Find all of our recipes using Lavender essential oil by clicking here.
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!