Bergamot essential oil is known for its refreshing and uplifting, yet relaxing aroma. For this reason, it is a popular essential oil used in perfumes, cosmetics, and other beauty products. It’s a perfect choice to diffuse at home to create a welcoming and positive environment. Add Bergamot to your nightly beauty routine to increase the appearance of smoother skin. It also possesses amazing cleansing properties.
Bergamot Essential Oil
- Rutaceae (citrus)
Historical Uses for Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot was used in the Mediterranean as early as the 1600’s where it was used in home remedies and tonics.
- Bergamot orange is a citrus fruit about the size of an orange, but yellow-green in color.
- Italy produces the majority of the world’s supply of Bergamot.
- It is renowned for its flavoring in Earl Grey Tea.
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Bergamot essential oil is pressed from the rind of the fruit through steam distillation.
- It has a sweet and lively scent that can be described as citrusy or fruity.
- It is considered a top note when blending with other oils.
- Bergamot essential oil wears several hats when blending with other oils, acting as an equalizer, modifier, and enhancer.
- It blends especially well with Geranium, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang.
- This essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications.
- Bergamot for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils.
Tips & Recipes for Using Bergamot Essential Oil
- Bergamot essential oil is gentle and safe for most users to use.
- Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity so avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 48 hours after application.
- We suggest applying this essential oil with a carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- The Vitality essential oil tastes great in our Jazzed Up Strawberry Shortcake recipe!
- Or jazz up your laundry with this Natural DIY Fabric Softener.
- It is a key player in these fabulous beauty products:
- Need to take a breather and gain a little perspective? Try these diffuser recipes:
- Or get the kids to go to bed on time with this Off to Dreamland Diffuser Recipe!
- Wow your man and keep him coming back for more with one of our perfume blends or make some cologne for him to wear:
Click the banner above or click here to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!