Its cheerful, invigorating and refreshing scent makes Lemon essential oil a key player in many oil-infused products. Known for its odor eliminating and purifying abilities, Lemon is used around the world in household cleaners and soaps. It is also featured in many beauty products because of its ability to reduce the appearance of blemishes and give hair a shinier, smoother look.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon has been used in home remedies for centuries. It is recorded that Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds on his discovery voyages to the Americas. Later, the Spanish conquest spread Lemon and its many uses through the New World.
- Lemon contains the naturally occurring constituent limonene, which makes Lemon Vitality a useful daily dietary supplement
- It takes about 25 lemons to make a 5 ml bottle of Lemon essential oil, and about 75 lemons for a 15 ml bottle!
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rind
- It has a sweet, sharp, and citrusy aroma
- It is considered a top note when blending with other oils
- This oil is thought to be a modifier and enhancer. It blends well with many different essential oils including chamomile, eucalyptus, frankincense, geranium, peppermint, sandalwood, and ylang-ylang
Tips for Using Lemon Essential Oil
- This essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications
- Lemon for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils
- Lemon essential oil is gentle and safe for most users
- Citrus oils like Lemon can cause photosensitivity so avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying the product
- We suggest applying this essential oil with a carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect
Top Use for Lemon Essential Oil
- Add Lemon to homemade household cleaners to boost cleaning power
- Diffuse this oil to eliminate stale odors and cleanse the air
- Take 3-5 drops of Lemon Vitality internally for extra immune support
- Apply diluted lemon to the spine to maintain a healthy immune system
- Make a room spray to neutralize unwanted odors
- Use a few drops to remove sticker residue or sticky substances
Recipes with Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon’s many applications make it one of the most versatile essential oils to have on hand. Here are some of our favorite recipes with lemon:
- Lemon Vitality essential oil adds amazing brightness to the flavor of recipes like our:
- Harness the freshening and purification power of Lemon essential oil around your home. Try the following recipes:
- Lemon can help you look your best! Try it in our All-Natural Blemish Gel Recipe
- When the seasons change, Honey Lemon Throat Drops with Lemon Vitality essential oil are both soothing and delicious
- Take advantage of the invigorating and mood-enhancing properties of Lemon essential oil in diffuser recipes like our:
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!