Its cheerful, invigorating and refreshing scent makes Lemon essential oil a key player in many oil-infused products. Known for its odor eliminating and purifying abilities, it is used around the world in household cleaners and soaps. It’s also featured in many beauty products because of it’s ability to reduce the appearance of blemishes and give hair a shinier, smoother look.
Lemon’s many applications makes it one of the most versatile essential oil to have on hand.
- Rutaceae (citrus)
Historical Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon has been used in home remedies for centuries. It is recorded that Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds on his discovery voyages to the Americas. Later, Spanish conquest spread Lemon and it’s uses through the New World.
- Lemon contains the naturally occurring constituent limonene, which makes Lemon Vitality a useful daily dietary supplement.
- It takes about 25 lemons to make a 5 ml bottle of Lemon essential oil, and about 75 lemons for a 15 ml bottle!
Aroma and Tips for Blending
- Lemon essential oil is cold pressed from the rind.
- It has a sweet, sharp and citrusy aroma.
- It is considered a top note when blending with other oils.
- Lemon essential oil is thought to be a modifier and enhancer. It blends well with many different essential oils including chamomile, eucalyptus, frankincense, geranium, peppermint, sandalwood, and ylang ylang.
- Lemon essential oil can be used for topical, aromatic, and internal applications.
- Lemon for internal use can be found using Young Living’s Vitality line of essential oils.
Tips & Recipes for Using Lemon Essential Oil
- Lemon essential oil is gentle and safe for most users to use.
- Citrus oils like Lemon can cause photosensitivity so avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product.
- We suggest applying Lemon essential oil with carrier oil to help it stay on the skin longer for a more long-lasting effect.
- Lemon Vitality essential oil adds amazing brightness to the flavor of recipes like our:
- Harness the freshening and purification power of Lemon essential oil around your home. Try the following recipes:
- Lemon essential oil can help you look your best! Try it in our All-Natural Blemish Gel Recipe.
- When the seasons change, Honey Lemon Throat Drops with Lemon Vitality essential oil are both soothing and delicious.
- Take advantage of the invigorating and mood enhancing properties of Lemon essential oil in diffuser recipes like our:
Click the banner above to see all of the featured oils in our Getting to Know Essential Oils series!