Did you know that you’re supposed to clean your mattress once a month? Yeah, I don’t do that either. I usually make my way around to it once a year. That’s not perfect, but it’s the way it is. So when I do get around to cleaning my mattress it’s usually because we’re expecting company. With that in mind, I follow these steps to clean & freshen my mattress in one glorious afternoon.
The recipes are super simple and I know that my bed is clean and fresh after this easy process:
- Strip your mattress. Wash your sheets with our Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent. Throw your sheets into the dryer with some dryer balls and a DIY Homemade Dryer Sheet.
- While your laundry is started, mix a batch of Natural Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer. This stuff is completely amazing on carpets AND on mattresses.
- Sprinkle a cup of the Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer over the entire surface of the mattress. Let that sit for about 5 minutes. This will absorb odors from your mattress.
- Use your vacuum attachments to vacuum up the Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer. (This is the bagless vacuum I just bought. I LOVE IT. It’s so light and a great price!) The vacuum will clean your mattress of dust mites, dirt, and dead skin cells that have collected over time. Yuck!
- Spray the surface of the mattress with the Mattress Refresher recipe (see below). This will leave the mattress smelling fresh and clean. Allow the mattress to dry before making your bed.
BONUS TIP: Store your extra set of sheets in the linen closet with a DIY Deodorizing Disk. It will keep all your pillows, blankets, towels, and linens smelling fresh and ready for guests.
This Mattress Refresher recipe is so refreshingly simple.
- It takes less than a minute to throw this recipe together.
- It uses natural and easy to find ingredients.
- The vinegar is a natural disinfectant and it helps deodorize, too. Thankfully the vinegar smell dissipates when it dries!
- Tea Tree and Lemon essential oils are a great combination for a bright, fresh, and clean scent.
- I keep this spray bottle with our other cleaning supplies. The trigger spray nozzle is so much simpler to use than a pump bottle, and the amber color of the glass helps preserve the integrity of the essential oils and protects them from being compromised by sunlight. I still store them in a dark spot.
You think this is easy enough that I might be able to do it monthly? Maybe so! I’ll let you know next time we have overnight guests.
New to essential oils? Learn more about how we use them and why you should use them as well.
Yield – 16 ounces
Preparation Time – 2 minutes
Cooking Time – 0 minutes
- 16 oz trigger spray bottle
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
- In your spray bottle, combine all ingredients.
- To use: Spray onto mattress top. Allow to dry before making the bed.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
More essential oil household cleaning recipes you might enjoy:
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this website with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.