We’ve used essential oils for years and people often ask us our favorite oils. We decided to take a look at how we use oils day in and day out to give you a great idea of the oils we use on a consistent basis…the oils we can’t live without.
These are our 10 Must-Have Essential Oils that we reach for every single day.
There are so many uses for these oils you won’t want to be without them either.
Lavender Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Lavender Vitality for internal use)
Lavender is universally regarded as one of the most powerful and versatile essential oils, and the uses for this plant are almost endless. Lavender essential oil is one of the main Young Living products because it offers a host of benefits and a sweet, floral aroma.
- Add 8–12 drops to water and spray under beds and in closets for a fresh, pleasing aroma.
- Apply 2–4 drops to skin to moisturize and enhance skin radiance.
- Diffuse at night for a calming aroma during sleep.
- Add to bath to create a calming and comforting environment.
- Lavender essential oil may compliment your favorite shampoos, lotions and skin care products.
- Use Lavender Vitality oil in this Lavender Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze recipe!
Lemon Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Lemon Vitality for internal use)
Lemon (Citrus limon) essential oil includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods. It takes about 75 lemons to make one 15 ml bottle of lemon oil.
- Put 2 drops in a capsule. Take 3 times daily or as needed.
- Add a drop to your glass of water for a burst of citrus flavor.
- Infuse marinades, frosting, baked goods, or simply place a drop or two on baked chicken for added flavor.
- Try Lemon Vitality in our No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Tart recipe!
- Make your own Homemade Liquid Dish Soap that smells amazing.
Frankincense Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Frankincense Vitality for internal use)
Frankincense essential oil has an earthy, balsamic aroma that is highly revered for its ability to increase feelings of spirituality and inner strength. Known for a broad range of uses, Frankincense features prominently in Young Living’s skin care line of products.
- Apply 1–2 drops to the face and neck to minimize visual blemishes and add a healthy looking glow.
- Make your own luxurious and creamy Frankincense Body Butter.
- Diffuse to enrich prayer, yoga, or meditation for a deeper spiritual connection.
- Apply 2–4 drops to moisturize dry skin. (It’s perfect for a natural Aftershave recipe!)
- Excellent to use for massage after activity.
- Whip up a batch of Foaming Hand Soap with Frankincense to moisturize your skin.
Orange Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Orange Vitality for internal use)
Orange essential oil has a sweet, citrusy aroma and flavor. Like other citrus essential oils, it is high in the beneficial compound d-limonene.
- Diffuse for a sweet and fresh scent that is mildly floral.
- Add 1–2 drops to water in a glass bottle as an alternative to sweetened or diet beverages.
- Embrace the versatility of Orange Vitality essential oil as a culinary tool by using it in your cooking to brighten up or complement dishes with its citrus flavor. Use it in baked goods for an acidic contrast to the sweetness of desserts and baked goods like these Glazed Cranberry-Orange Muffins.
- Use in sweet and savory dishes to add flavor and zest.
- Get your oven clean (and smelling good!) with a Natural Oven Cleaner recipe that actually works!
Peppermint Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Peppermint Vitality for internal use)
Primary Benefits: Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for supporting normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and gastrointestinal system comfort.*
- Add to recipes in place of peppermint extract. Use only a toothpick swirl as it’s 4x as concentrated as typical extracts. (See more about using EOs to replace extracts.)
- Add a drop to water or other beverage for a cool, refreshing taste that supports efficient digestion.
- Use in a batch of homemade Peppermint Mocha.
- Add a drop to herbal tea to help sooth an occasional upset stomach.
- Diffuse Peppermint Essential Oil for a brisk, uplifting aroma.
- Blend with your pre-workout drink for an energizing start or wind down after your workout with a mint-infused chocolate or vanilla protein shake.
- Use in baking and in a wide variety of desserts like these Peppermint Brownies Bites.
- Add to your next batch of Peppermint Foot Scrub to keep your feet smooth and soft.
Ginger Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Ginger Vitality for internal use)
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) Vitality essential oil is distilled from the root of the ginger plant and lends itself to a wide variety of applications. Ginger Vitality essential oil benefits are derived from its naturally occurring constituents zingiberene and beta-phellandrene.
- Use Ginger Vitality as both a flavoring in the kitchen and as a dietary supplement.
- Diffuse Ginger Essential Oil for a splash of spicy energy in the air.
- Add 1 – 2 drops of Ginger Vitality to vegetable capsule to support healthy digestion.
- Add a drop to your tea for a nice, soothing hot drink.
- Use in desserts as a replacement for ginger spice like in these recipes for Pear-Apple Pie or Chewy Ginger Cookies.
Bergamot Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Bergamot Vitality for internal use)
Uplifting and relaxing, Bergamot’s sweet citrus scent can help build confidence, enhance your mood, and soothe oily and troubled skin.
- Add to your nightly skin care routine for oily skin.
- Use a drop or two as a long-lasting perfume.
- Diffuse for a purifying scent.
- Freshen rugs and carpets by adding a few drops to 1 cup of baking soda. Sprinkle over carpet, let sit for 30 minutes, and then vacuum thoroughly.
- Use in a natural DIY Fabric Softener recipe that transforms the smell of your clean clothes.
- Add to an essential oil infused sugar scrub for your body and feet.
- Make your own homemade lip balm that will soothe your lips.
Thieves Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Thieves Vitality for internal use)
Thieves essential oil blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated a special aromatic combination composed of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals they used while robbing the dead and dying. Young Living’s one-of-a-kind Thieves blend, crafted in the spirit of that legendary combination, can be found in all of our Thieves products.
- When taken internally, Thieves supports healthy immune function*, and it includes Eucalyptus radiata essential oil, which may help maintain a healthy respiratory system.*
- When taken as a dietary supplement, Thieves is an ideal complement to a daily wellness regimen.*
- Diffuse with Ginger and Grapefruit for a warm, cozy feeling in your home.
- Use a drop on your toothbrush to freshen your breath and clean your teeth.
- Gargle with warm water to soothe your throat.
- Add to warm water and sip as a refreshing beverage especially during the winter months.
- Make your own Homemade Moisturizing Hand Cleanser Spray (perfect for carrying around in your purse and car!).
- Use as an All-Purpose Cleaning Spray.
Purification Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical
Neutralize odors and enhance the air in your home with the crisp, refreshing aroma of Purification. When diffused, Purification helps purify and cleanse the air from stubborn and lingering odors. This uplifting blend is also an excellent choice for moisturizing dry skin.
Comprised of these essential oils: Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Myrtle, Citronella, Lavandin
- Massage 1–2 drops to moisturize dry skin.
- Use as a simple yet effective Carpet & Fabric Cleaner & Deodorizer.
- Combine several drops with water in a spray bottle and spray to eliminate unpleasant smells such as smoke, mildew, and stale food odors (especially on your couches, rugs, drapes, and shoes!).
- Diffuse to clean the air of foul or stale odors.
- Use in your chemical-free All-Purpose Cleaners with this recipe.
- Apply topically to enjoy the outdoors annoyance free.
Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
Uses: Aromatic & Topical (choose Cinnamon Bark Vitality for internal use)
Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum verum) Vitality essential oil is a concentrated and potent flavor that complements a variety of classic culinary treats. Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil can be used in aromatic and topical applications to add a deep, warm spicy feel to any recipe.
- Diffuse with any citrus oil for a mellow, warming feeling.
- Use Cinnamon Bark Vitality in place of ground cinnamon in baking and breakfast recipes like these recipes for French Toast with Apple Cranberry Sauce or homemade Pumpkin Bread.
You might also enjoy:
- 10 Essential Oils to Buy this Year (aka What to Buy After the Starter Kit!)
- 6 Best Carrier Oils for Essential Oils
- Best Essential Oil Diffusers under $20
- Make & Take Party Printable Packs